Do you believe

Satan/the devil is real?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 4:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• NO.

You don't have to explain 'good' and 'evil' that way IMO. Any concept of evil is really just due to things like greed, anger, delusion, desire, and ignorance. In fact, I think it's somewhat dangerous to think of another as 'evil' or to think of evil as an EXTERNAL force or a being of some kind. Seeing others as separate from ourselves or 'evil' can open the possibility of doing them harm in the name of 'good'. How many wars and horrible acts in this world have been done in the name of one group's idea of what is 'good'?

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”~Buddha

"YOU are the source of purity and impurity. No one purifies another."~Dhammapada ch.12
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If you believe Jesus is real, then you must believe satan is also real.
    HotGranny416

Answer by HotGranny416 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes. Luke 4: Jesus was tempted 40 days by the devil(v 2); the devil spoke to Jesus 3 times(v 3, v 6, an v 9); Jesus spoke to Satan in v 8. And from the Old Testament, Psalm 109:6 "Set a wicked man over him; and let Satan stand at his right hand."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• "If you believe Jesus is real, then you must believe satan is also real. "

Really, why?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• if you believe in Heaven you must also believe in hell. just like if you believe in good you have to believe in evil. so, yes.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• "So that is simple answer to the "Why"I have seen posted a couple of times"

I'm not asking why people believe in satan, I'm asking why people have stated that one MUST believe in evil in order to believe in good. There are hardly any absolutes in this world, beliefs being a major one. So I'm asking why or how someone could say how another "must" believe in something. Seems odd.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Nope. Satan/The Devil is a Christian concept. I don't really accept the belief in good vs. evil because everyone and everything has a light and dark side.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes... The big, hairy-chested, cloven hooved, fork tailed, horned half beast man is going to come to take your soullllls *sarcasm*

Great, now I'm going to have nightmares about Joe Biden
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I completely disagree with those two statements. I'm a Christian who believes in heaven, and I don't believe in the Devil or hell - and I know MANY other Christians who feel the same way. Heaven/Hell, good/evil, Jesus/Satan, don't have to go hand in hand...

I completely disagree with your statements, and thats okay. We dont have to believe in the same thing. Im truly curious though how you can be a Christian and not believe in the devil...?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2011