Preschool....

My DD is 3 now. And the question lately has been (srry keyboard is sticking) am i enrolling her in preschool. My Hubby and I have talked about it but cant seem to get over the age requirements for it. (are there any requirements for preschool? or does it depend on the school itself?) And since she was born in January, do we have to wait an extra year? when do we enroll her if we were to enroll her? then were going to move around Huntersville, NC hopefully before she turns 4....do we wait until we move? or do we enroll her now? Does anyone know of any good preschools around Huntersville? How do you know what makes a good school a good school?

t1nk0218

Asked by t1nk0218 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I live in Indiana and there is not age on pre-k. My DD started when she had just turned 3.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Depends on the preschool. Ones I've been looking at need them to be 3 by September 1. The enrollment dates are different for each school. Some are as early as December for the next school year.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Depends on your school. Kids had to be 3 by September 1 to enroll in our school, contact the school where you want to enroll your daughter and ask them about their regulations. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Some preschools start at two and a half (potty trained), My LO started preschool at 3. Her birthday is in December. She started in January. So she went 3 days a week for half a year. She goes to a different class in the same school five days a week this year and next year she will go to the pre-kindergarten class 5 days a week. This is from 9 in the morning until noon. She will be five years and nine months before she starts kindergarten. She loves school, the activities, the field trips, the learning and friends.
    I resent it when people think I am sending her to daycare to give me a break. It is much more difficult and time consuming for me to take her to preschool than to just stay home. But it is for her well-being.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I would just wait until you move unless you really want her in preschool for 2 years. Also, you want to look at the cutoff for kindergarden. Where I live now, the child has to be 5 by August 1st, so my son will actually end up being in prek for 3 years.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Whenever is the right time for you go and visit a few schools. Ask if you can sit in for an hour or so. Many will let you do this. Watch how the teachers interact with the children, see if the place is clean, and see if the kids are having fun.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• In my sons preschool they must be potty trained, frequent accidents (as in daily or every other day) are cause from dismissal from the school. They also must be 3 years of age by Sept. 15 for that school year to start the year. My son turned 3 in January and then started school in the fall. He's now in his 2nd year of preschool and starts kindergarden this fall. My son's school also only does enrollment in the fall, its not open enrollment year-round. All the above varies from school to school, so calling the school you want is the way to find out what's the rules in your situation. What's "good" for one parent and family might not be "good" for another. I enjoy my sons school because everything they do is geared towards our local kindergarden readiness requirements. It's well known in our area children from this school are very well prepared for kindergarden. (cont.)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• His school offers a play based curriculum, with 2 field trips throughout the year and a parent co-op school. Every day in the classroom there are 17 kids, 2 teachers, and 1 parent helper. Although this type of school requires a lot more parent involvement then others (volunteering in the classroom is mandatory, as are cleaning days and playground help days throughout the year) I enjoy it a lot more then just dropping him off and meeting his teachers maybe twice a year. They do a school performance for most major holidays, and have computer and music classes "specials". If there's a school you're interested in I suggest calling them, or stopping in unannounced, and setting up a tour. Ask about the curriculum, what extra things are offered, price, and just observe what you see and how the teachers interact with the kids. Go with what you feel works best for you and your daughters needs. Good Luck :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2011