Would you be willing to pay $4 a month to help pay down the national debt?

OK so my DH and I were talking and he said that he thinks there should be a "debt tax" every working person should get $2.00 taken out of every paycheck ($4 a month) that SPECIFICALLY goes to pay off the national debt and NOTHING else...I would be fine doing that...even though i know that I did nothing to CAUSE the national debt i could easily give $4 bucks a month to help out the country and to be honest i wouldn't care if a democrat or a republican implemented this idea...i would be doing it for the good of the country and leave my personal politics out of it. If you think there are even 1 million people who did this in one month we could pay off 4 million dollars of the national debt...anyway I am really curious what you all think and also if you have ever heard of a politician have this idea or something similar and who was it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• In addition to paying it off, we have to stop running it up.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Here's the problem I see with it - until we fix the problem paying it off is not going to make it go away. Some fat cat is just going to decide that they need another $500 hammer or something and keep adding to the debt as we try to pay it off. Personally, I think if you are going to charge people to help pay it off, I think it should be based on income - $4 is a gallon of milk for the kids for some struggling families while others throw away hundreds every day.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don`t trust the people in charge to to do the right thing. But I think the idea is great.
    kanake

Answer by kanake at 4:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Nope. not until the powers that be can control their spending. Otherwise, next year it would be $8 a month and then $10 because they haven't learned to run the country the way that they should.

They don't have to pay for it so they don't necessarily feel the hurt of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Sounds good. Haven't heard of this idea, but I did hear one that involved giving every American (born in the USA and over 21). 1 million dollars each, with the stipulation that they must spend it within one year or start paying taxes on it. This would stimulate the economy and create jobs. This may not be the exact wording, but it's close. I think anything that causes a positive dialogue between the two parties is a good thing.

HotGranny416

Answer by HotGranny416 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Problem is as soon as it was implemented they would start spending $8 more for every $4 sent in. They have to show some responsibility just as we have to every month when we pay bills.

Answer by gemgem at 4:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It is a good idea but would not work for reasons mentioned already by PP.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• A couple weeks ago,I said something simular to my husband. I know we did not cause the debt, but we are Americans, and if each of us put a small amount in once a month or so, we could clear this debt up, and start impeachment on the cause of this mess.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 4:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• what if we could do it somehow WITHOUT the government being involved like rather than it being set up as a "tax" being set up like oh gosh i don't know some private account that then we as the citizens did it?? Would that even be possible?

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• P.S to my other thing. We need to show that man what we Americans are made of, and we are made of some good strong stuff. If we stick together, nothing can come against us.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 4:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011