My son is 9 months old and STILL NOT sleeping through the night. What do I do??

I have tried soooo many things. We do the same routine every night. I only let him take 2 45 min naps a day. I give him carbs right before bed. I even let him cry it out for 20 mins at a time for over an hour. He just seems to be sooooo used to waking up about 3AM that he can't kick the habit. HELP!

http://www.mommysmissions.com/

mommysmission

Asked by mommysmission at 4:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's not developmentally ready to sleep through the night yet. Some kids don't until they are much older.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• That sounds NORMAL to me, from talking to other moms. Most babies actually DON'T sleep all the way through the night without waking at all for a few YEARS. DS is 2 1/2, and still wakes up most nights at some point.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Well my dr always told me with my three kids that sleeping five consecutive hours at night is considered sleeping through the night. He also said it is normal to not sleep through he night until around 2.All my kids were different ages but your little one is still pretty young to be sleeping through the night so until he's ready there will be nothing you can do! GL!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• HELP!! My son is 3 and still wakes up - some of us are just not blessed with "good sleepers" my son had an 8 month stint from 1 to 2 where he slept all night.. then it stopped.. and never came back....waaahhhh... good luck..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• He will eventuall,y but he is still young to be dropping that feeding. Do it quickly and put him back to bed. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thanks! Appreciate the comments!!
    mommysmission

Comment by mommysmission (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I wish i had a trick for you ut my daughter does the same thing and she is 10months she wakes up every morning around 4ish wanting a bottle but she goes to bed around 9 so i tell myself thats a long time without something in her stomach so im sure shes hungry
    Ashley2810

Answer by Ashley2810 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Wow he only wakes up once!? Im jelouse, my 9 month old wakes up aleast 3-4 times a night to nurse and some days she just feels like waking up two hrs earlier then normal in the am. My personal opinion, you just need to let them wake and sleep as they please at this age because there still babys and need as much sleep as possible. However they definatly should know the difference between night and day by now meaning they should be sleeping longer periods of time during the night so if hes doing that then just give it some time and things will fall into place. gl
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Carbs before bed? You realize that's basically like giving sugar before bed, right? Give protein... I.E.: MILK. But don't expect sleeping through the night... ever, really. My 5 y/o still wakes up once a night (down from every 45 minutes at your child's age.). It's very, very normal. I would be worried about an infant sleeping 12 hours straight!

Oh, and what good is crying before bed going to do? Have you ever fallen asleep crying? You wake up feeling yucky, right? Why would you want to force that on your child?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My little guy started sleeping through the night when I stopped going to him every time he whined for me. He didn't need me, he was warm, dry, well fed, and safe in his crib. So I started just going to see him when he was crying hard, then only once a night no matter what he did, and now he doesn't bother calling for me because he knows I'm not coming.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2011