Do you spoil them?

Do you spoil your kids? Buy them almost everything they want, if they are older do you pay for their car insurance cell phone??? And if so do they deserve it, are they respectful to you, do the listen and are they appreciative of all the things you do?

I see so many parents these days just buying there kids off! Getting them and paying for everything!! unfortunately usually in those cases the kids are brats. Never a thank you and they always just want more...What are you teaching your kids buy doing this cause its definitely not manners, or to have to work for what you want.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wasn't allowed to work when I was in HS (school was my job) so my parents paid for my car as long as I kept my grades up.
    Anonymous

• My kids hear more No's than Yes's. It's OK to be disappointed. It builds character.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• we dont spoil my daughter. my husband and i have strict rules to raising her
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• We don't spoil them with things. We try to teach that objects are just that objects. Each has what they need and we "spoil" for birthdays. We do try to spoil them with doing things, spending time and going on silly adventures that they will remember long after the latest fad toy has broken.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• depends how you see it i suppose. My child has most of what other kids have. But he is very well-behaived. He is respectful, and he knows that all he needs in life is basics (shelter, love, clothes, food), so anything else is a luxury. He's only in elem. school now, but i think he understands more than a lot of teens about money management, making choices, and to be appreciative. He's also kind and has manners.

But i know what you're talking about. We have some freinds whose kids have more than ours do, but are snotty, ungratefull, self-entitled, rude to their own parents, AND other adults. Their kids have no respect for anyone, it's disgusting. I just laugh and think to myself "you may think you're a king sh** now, just wait until you get out into the real world!"
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes I buy my kids also every thing they want. They're 17 and have cell phones and about every game console you can name. I gave them my old car but they haven't learned to drive it yet. No they're not spoiled. They have chores that include cleaning toilets, they're respectful and do as they're told. They're good kids.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• As long as the deserve it, are appreciative and understand that you don't just get things handed to you i think its wonderful to spoil them if ya can!! I just think its so tacky when you have a horribly behaved child that just gets everything they want. I think they should at least have some chores they are responsible for and how to respect people. So many teens and young adults are so disrespectful and once they get to that age they are pretty much stuck with that attitude their whole life as where you teach a young boy ladies first you have taught a man to be gentlemen.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011