Has the recession/depression affected your children?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/education/31winerip.html?pagewanted=1&sq=teacher, my dad lost his job&st=cse&scp=1

Interesting article ~

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Me personally. No. My only child is an adult no longer living at home and we have not really suffered (like so many others have) any real impact from the economic downturn.

With that said. I can completely and totally understand and see how it can/does have an affect on younger children of those who have been hit hard. Kids can see and feel the stress their parents have, especially if it an increase in stress. Kids who are used to having this that and the other, feeling it when their parents can suddenly no longer provide or give those things. This is just a couple of the things that do affect kids, there are many issues that ripple from economic hardships that affect children. And many of those, the parents sometimes do not see that it is happening.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• We lost our insurance, month later I found out I was pregnant (major surprise and yes I was using birth control), hubs was then laid off, and there were no jobs to be had during that time. Our kids kind of understood what was happening. We tried hard for them not to be too impacted. It was a rough couple months. Once it all turned around it turned around for the best. The kids noticed how stressed we were. They also noticed mommy cooking more from scratch. We went to the park instead out the zoo. Stuff like that.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My oldest lost his job last May and has jut been called back on a contract basis. He works when they have a job to do. No benefits. The other 2 have been lucky and not lost their jobs
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Nope.
    My son turned 16 on Sunday.
    He's been running his own tiny business since he was 9
    And giving guitar lessons on Sunday afternoons since he was 14
    He started working on and off for a farmer here and a pressure washing company since this past summer.
    About 3 weeks ago he started playing music in a bar with a band on Fri and Sat night.
    What recession? He cannot possibly spread himself any thinner.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• No, it hasn't effected my family but I can see how it would effect many. Kids pick up on EVERYTHING we do and say and are listening even when we think they're not. Alot of parents don't realize it but the stresses we are going through are often carried silently by our children.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• No...knock on wood. But we also have a lot of back up resources that we can liquidate should we have to.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It has affected my kids in that they have friends moving for parents to take a new job or relocate to live with family- they also have friends who have had family move in with them. Their sports and activities groups have cut way back on the things they do to help lessen the financial burden on families. The kids are 12 and 16 so they are pretty aware that others are struggling even if it has not hit us that hard. My husbands bonus is about half of what it use to be so the big, fun two week excursion to the islands we use to take yearly has been replaced by a week vacation to a local resort- they understand that is mild compared to what others are going through. My HS boy is more aware than my younger one simply because he watches the news and reads the paper-not nearly as much good news as there once was-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My 23 will likely be leaving for another year of working abroad- There is no work for her in the US, despite having a BA, BS and MA degrees and being multi lingual to fluency. Perhaps, she is just too impatient to wait the standard 1 year to get her foot in the door, or too picky for not wanting to work at SBs or Target. She can earn more working and living abroad (plus work in her field). I give her a great deal of credit for being flexible, independent and adventurous. Oh well, another place to go visit! My college aged son, No...he still primarily lives off mom and dad.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• There is no work for her in the US, despite having a BA, BS and MA degrees and being multi lingual to fluency.

***

I'm just curious. What are your daughter's degrees in that she cannot get a job here in the US?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• WE made changes but they havent really noticed. I started couponing a LOT. so we actually have way MORE for way LESS :) And I started taking advatage of all the FREEE events in the area! Or museums are free on the first Sunday of the month and our local estuaries and enviiromental centers offer free classes for the kids and stuff! We have more family get togethers too...much cheaper! LOL
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2011