Can you put dryer sheets in the washer?

I have a working washer but no dryer. I hung my towels out to dry but they are still very rough. We have extremely hard water here in San Antonio. Please do not respond that you use vinegar or that mother nature is the best I have seen all that info. Thanks!

bernadettejay

Asked by bernadettejay at 5:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It won't do anything. I think the act of drying without tumbling is what makes the fabric stiff. I have tried using generous doses of fabric softener in my washer and then dried on a line -- still crunchy.

However, my MIL will take the crunchy laundry off the line and put it through a short dryer cycle ... maybe you can take what you really want to be softer to a laundromat (it'll be lighter than wet clothes!) and putting it on a real short cycle.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ive never heard of that but try it ... i cant imagine anything bad happening... im sure youve tried it but if you havent.. fabric softener...
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Nope don't do it. Instead, add vinegar to the wash.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Oh - and towels don't absorb as well when you use fabric softener on them.
    twinsplus2more

• Stop using store bought detergent. It doesn't rinse out of your laundry completely ~ which is WHY they invented fabric softener. I've made my own now for more than eight years and nothing would make me consider buying detergent ever again. Whether or not I add vinegar, I can wash anything, hang it to dry, and it is not rough. Whether you want to hear it or not, there is absolutely nothing you can add to your washer that will change that, because that is what detergents do.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• i guesss so but not sure
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i have heard of people doing this.
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 9:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2011