My 6 yr old and his farts...lol.

i'm trying to teach my 6 yr old to walk away and fart in private. He has some very nasty manly smelly farts and in the past week has embarrassed me twice with some silent but deadly ones. We were in the game store and he let one rip..i wanted to kill him. i knew it was him because his has a very distinctive smell. I was hoping the clerk didnt think it was me...my son just looked at me with a grin on my face and i was fuming with anger. do i have the right to be mad? when we left i had a talk with him and explained to him that he is old enough to walk away and do it in private...that i don't mind it at home but other people don't want to smell that. Yet, the next day in check out at walmart i smelled it again and he just looked at me with a grin. is he not old enough yet or should i still stay on his butt until he understands he is being rude and that he needs to walk away.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you're out in public, where "private" should he go to pass gas?
    Anonymous

• They do not have a whole lot of control yet . . . best you just overlook it. Their little digestive systems are still maturing, and allergies are quite common.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• like away from me...lol. in the corner. and then walk around let his pants air out..dont just stand there to let it fume up in the cashiers face
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• this may be my fault because we are so "proud" of farts at home. don't get me wrong..i don't get mad at him for farting or anything. its just so dang embarrassing in the stores
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I am an adult and I can;t always hold them in. They are a natural body function and he is still very little. He can't control it like you think. Also most moms would freak if their kid left their side in a store.

I just think you are expecting too much too soon. I would make a joke about it though so people know it is not you farting. "PU son, maybe you should lay off the beans". Say it quietly so just the person you are off offending with his stench hears it, so you don't embarrass him completely.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Sounds like my nephew. He would intentionally squeeze them out, especially in the car or a tight place. He nearly cleared an entire line waiting for a rollercoaster. How can a little children be so stinky????
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011