Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Does anyone know about social services?

Recently my grandmother passed away. For the last 50 years she has been taking care of a disabled son (now age 50), daughter (age 40), and grandson (age 20) financially and physically, with no services to help (except social security income for 1 of the 3). So when she passed away, she left 3 people in her home that can not take care of themselves. The house was not in good condition while she was alive and now it is very bad condition, so their living situation is not good. Right now, they need more care than what our family is able to give them and they really need help. Without having a foot in the door with social services because my grandmother never received any physical help, we don't even know where to start. We are thinking that a group home setting would be the best idea for the care they need, but how do we do that when one of the people is already 50 years old? Does anyone know how to do this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (10)
  • Call a Geriatric Social Worker. You can call a local nursing home and ask their advice. They should be able to guide you in the right direction. You could also ask the doctor.

    Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • You could get help by calling your local "elder" or "disabled" abuse hotline and making a report. It is justifcation enough just to say that they are unsafe because they cannot care for themselves. No one has to be "abusing". They will then be assigned case managers who can help sign them up for services and place them in housing. You can work with them.
    You can call the non-emergency line of your local police station to get referral numbers. Either that, or call your local child-abuse hotline and they can direct you.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • Have all 3 been legally declared disabled? Have the 3 of them been declared incompetent and was the grandmother their legal guardian? Before you can even begin looking into group home placement you need to know these 2 things to begin with. Most group homes do receive some form of State/Federal funding (there are private ones, however they can be extremely expensive especially when you are talking 3 people) and there are requirements for placement. A client usually has to already be part of the system in some form or another. So if they have never been in the system, getting them is (unless you can afford private group homes..) your first step. Which since we are talking legal adults here, there are legal hurdles (like declaring guardianship if need be) that must be tacked.

    Answer by pixie_trix at 5:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • Imaginationmama, that's is what I want to do because I feel like it will be the fastest way to get them to a better situation, but my mom said no because my Grandmother left the house in my moms name and she's afraid she will get in trouble. Should I do it anyway?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • Anon it is in their best interest. I would call if I were you. Mom may be angry for a while but their well being is more important.

    Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

  • You need to do what is best for them, your mom will get over it.

    Answer by older at 7:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • call them anyways , your mother isnt going to get in trouble these people are there to help and thats what they will do is find the right help for the people your gma left behind.......

    Answer by cara124 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • We have a local Crisis & Information number to call for things like that. Look in your phone book and see. If not, try the local mental health clinic. They usually have a list of helpful agencies and numbers.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • I am confused, is there 1 disabled person out of the three? If the other two are disabled you need to contact the office of Disability services, if you call your local welfare office they can direct you to the right office. Was there never any discussion of what was going to happen when gramma wasn't here anymore? How is your mother related to these people? Why doesn't she feel at all responsible for them. If the 20 year old grandson is not disabled,. why isn't he working? The same question holds true with the 40year old woman. Both of them would be held responsible if they are not disabled, they are the ones living with the disabled guy, and living off his money. When you say no one in the family can help, is it because they are broke? Or just don't want to help. I think it's wonderful that you have taken this on yourself to get it worked out, but what is everyone else's excuse?

    Answer by MamaAlice54 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • Call your county human services office, they will help you right away and they will have answers for you that you need. Your uncle will qualify for many services under the welfare system and disability act. i'm a little confused on the other two and their situation, but help is out there just start making calls, their is a lot of good advice on here for you.

    Answer by suijuris at 11:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.