How do i help my child understand that the new baby isnt coming tomorrow?

I told my 4yr that mommy is going to have a new baby. Well she is soooo excited about that she asks me EVERYDAY "mommy when is my brother coming?" Its cute and i'm happy that she is happy but its kind of getting a little annoying because she asks many times a day.

Imamommy07

Asked by Imamommy07 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• tell me when you figure it out :) my daugher is super excited too.. also 4 maybe it's the age....
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 5:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You need to get a calendar. Mark off the days. Leave the birth day open. Two or three weeks. How far away is it?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• agree iwth tootoobusy, get a calendar and explain to her taht the baby isn't quite ready yet.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 5:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I also use life events for my son. Like he loves swimming, and the baby isn't due till July. So first we talked about how the baby was not coming until it was warm enough outside to swim (we live in northern ohio so this works for us) and then once he understood that I mentioned it had to be warm enough to swim AND the fireworks had to come (4th of July) So now he tells everyone the baby is coming when he can swim with the fireworks. He doesn't know this means July but he's stopped asking every single day. Is there some big event for your daughter happening near the due date that you could say " we have to be able to swim first", or "grandma's birthday comes first". Just something big that relates it more to her life, and lets her know event A must happen first, and then event B (baby) will happen. The calendar also helps, it was just too abstract for my son, the life events helped more.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I was going to suggest the calendar thing. Also, what helped my son was to bring him to the doctor appointments so he could help the doc measure my tummy and find the baby's heartbeat. He was about 3.5 when she was born.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• What I did with my oldest, was I made a calendar all the way out til due date. I also told her that the baby would not come until her cousin had his birthday. When you go to your next Dr. appt. take her and let her hear the heartbeat and take her to the sonogram. This way you can tell/show her that the baby needs to get bigger before he/she can come.Even with that, the questions will keep coming but just keep reminding her "not today." Congrats!
    momma2grlz

Answer by momma2grlz at 7:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thank you all for all the ideas, I'm not do to Aug.23 so its going to be a long summer with her haha. I've tried it will be hot outside when the baby comes but she go mommy its sunny is my baby coming soon. So i had to change it up and said when all the snow is gone and its hot and i think with the calendar idea maybe she'll give me a break haha
    Imamommy07

Comment by Imamommy07 (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• When are you due?

You can try to point out that it will be when the weather is hot, for example. Or after her birthday.
    Or after the 4th of July.

I remember a friend's daughter made the announcement to me and said it would come after Halloween-- I thought that was a great way for a 5 YO to identify with the timing.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• oh!!
    I see your comment there...
    Well you can say when it's hot, like you have. Or find another marker of time.
    Or don't talk to much about it and see if she gives it a rest. lol
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You can take a calendar and curle the due date and show your 4 year old that then have them mark out the days as they come. It helps them to see how long it takes. You can also tell them its Like growing flowers you don't see the pretty flower first it has to grow big and strong then you get the flower. I hope this helps you that's what we did with my sisters 4 year old. It works he was excited to mark each day off .
    fuzzbucket07

Answer by fuzzbucket07 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011