Easy houseplants that will survive in a cave with infrequent watering?

Help! My house is in a heavily wooded lot and has no Southern or Western-facing windows I can put plants in, so I'm looking for things that are happy in low light. In addition, while I've had success with Pothos and Philodendrons, which are happy to get dry feet, I've been struggling with a stromanthe for two years, since its leaves start to wither if the soil gets dry. I'm just looking for another option for a little greenery in the house. Does anyone have a recommendation?

SWasson

Asked by SWasson at 5:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• False aralia;

Dragon trees, or corn trees do real well in low light. I had one & i had to keep cutting it back it grew so tall

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Bamboo is pretty cheap and survives just fine on only a little light

chinese evergreen are good;

Buy 06 - Green Plants  (Spathiphyllum and Dieffenbachia) (click for more detail)

Snake plants do well too in low light

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ferns?
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 5:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• spider plants do well in low light. They have this new curly variety that are much prettier than the other kind.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com

I have a peace lilly, a filadendron, and a type of palm tree, and they are all 3 the easiest plants I have ever had in our house. They don't require a lot of water through the winter, and not a lot of light all year round...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• LOL my little sister would get waaay too excited if she came to my house and saw that false aralia. It looks too much like one of her other favorite plants.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• We live in a cave too. So far the only thing that has survived my black thumb are the silk//fake plants. The longest living plant I had in this house was a spath, it lasted a few years.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Ooh, the Chinese evergreen and False arelia both look like things I'd like. The snake plant would be a different shape, too. Thanks, ladies!
    SWasson

Comment by SWasson (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2011