How do I get my 6 yr old to eat what is given to her and do what is asked of her?

I was a single mom and so I would make food that I knew she would eat to make life easier on me since I worked full time and went to school full time. Getting ready was always an issue but not too bad. Then I got married, had a baby, and new dad moved in. Now I have help so I am expanding the food I make and she is now refusing to eat what I give her, especially the veggies. Some nights and mornings she will not eat and go to bed or school without food. She will also take forever to do something: ex. get ready for school. Some mornings she will take 20 mins to brush her teeth or take 30 mins to get dressed. It is so difficult in the morning to not only get myself and the baby ready but now I have to hover over her like a helicopter to make sure she does what shes suppose to do. Is this just a power struggle and attention seeking? How do I get her to eat?

momma2grlz

Asked by momma2grlz at 6:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well with the doing what shes asked shes 6 and im sure that shes just testing you just stay firm with her and consistent. as for eating we have always made it a rule in our house you eat whats for that meal or you go hungry till the next meal. she wont starve herself trust me. If you are worried about her eating then just tell her she cant get down till she has a bite of everything on her plate she wont want to sit there forever lol. as for breakfast just try and make things you know she will eat i wouldnt wana send her to school hungry. But make no execptions at dinner and maybe let her help you make dinner and let her pick the veggie give her two choices and let her pick.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Offer a variety of food and take away all the stress and frustration. Be calm and if she eats, fine. if not, she can make up for it at another meal. In the morning I would make sure there is something she likes so she does not go to school hungry.

As far as getting ready, one of my niece's daughters is slow as molasses. It is just her nature. She lays out the clothes the night before and starts early with her to get ready. It is not necessarily a power thing with your daughter. You might give her a reward in stickers or such and then a small treat after ten or so for her great cooperation. Explain what cooperation is and start something new. She might need extra one on one time with you and DH too, with all the family changes, so she is reminded how special she is. Plus praise when she does things right. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think this is an age thing. My 6 year old does the same thing, and it drives me nuts. I wake her up 10 - 15 minutes earlier than she has to get up. Then I don't let her come out of her room until she is dressed. She will hurry up if she has to use the bathroom. Also, if she takes too long, more than 5 minutes, I will pick out her clothes. She HATES this. As far as breakfast, I will let her choose a few things that she likes to eat. This makes her more willing to hurry up and eat something. Then she has to go brush her teeth. We don't allow a lot of tv in our house, so I will let her watch some tv if she hurries up and get ready. Since I've started doing this, she has been getting to school early. As far as eating at home, make something you know she will eat as a side dish. I make macaroni and cheese, potatoes, veggies I know they'll eat. Etc, etc. Good luck. It does not get easier.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You can try setting a timer and having her race against time to eat and get dressed.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think that at six years old most parents think that they are old enough and should know better. They really aren't though, sometimes they still need mom to help them or just want them there with them. Maybe bring her clothes in the room with you and baby and let her get dressed while you do, let her brush her teeth when you do, so she feels included.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• let me add that her not eating breakfast is not because she does not like it. She has had oatmeal and cereal since she was 1 1/2. Now though, she says she does not want to eat it.
    momma2grlz

Comment by momma2grlz (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2011