Dealing with a picky toddler?

I'm not talking just your average picky child... I am talking full out refusal to eat foods he enjoys when he doesnt feel like it, he wont eat cheese even though he likes grilled cheese and mac and cheese, or he'll like something new like toast then suddenly stop liking it or wanting to eat it. He's 2 1/2, a late talker, and doesn't have the words or ability to even tell me why. Here's where we are at:

Breakfast: yogurt (has to be Trix- won't east another kind), cherrios, grapes or blueberries, toast (sometimes...not lately) cereal bars (not lately though)

lunch/dinner: hot dog, chicken nuggets (again must be a certain brand, Tyson), grilled cheese, macaroni and cheese, ramen (sometimes) and used to eat fish sticks but just all out refused tonight. also used to eat sweet potato fries but now refuses them

snack: teddy grahams, wheat thins, natural cheese curls, goldfish or whales or auntie annes bunnies,grapes, vanilla waffers and those baby puffs.

That's it...that is where we are at. I'm tired of it and at the end of my rope. I've never in my life experienced a child this incredibly picky and I've tried everything short of making him go hungry.....(which I cant being myself to do #1 because he needs to eat and #2 because of the incessent whining that would entail for a "snack")

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 6:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• first off he wont allow himself to be hungry so start by offering one new food with whatever he will eat if he refuses then nothing till the next meal even if he asks and whines stay strong he might not talk alot but he understands more then you may be giving him credit for. I to have a picky eater hes 2 but he has learned that if he doesnt eat his meal then he gets nothing till his next meal. usually it onlly takes one meal he skipped to relize he is hungry and he will eat the next one. at dinner when he refuses we leave his plate out and when he asks for a snack later which he does we tell him he has to eat what was for dinner and usually he does.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Your baby will grow out of it . . . just offer a lot of healthy things, and let them see you enjoying healthy things. It may not let up until ago 6-8, but it will, eventually. :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My daughter has tried (and still tries at 14) to reject foods to the point that she eats nothing. We finally just started making her eat. We took things away and punished her if she didn't eat. It has gotten better over time, but she is still a pain in the butt with food.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Both of mine are like that and they are 3 and 4. Try making 3 meals; one for DD, one for DS and one for DH. One of my tricks is hiding peas and carrots in the meatloaf. I've even resorted to bargaining if they finish the dinner that they can have a treat. Just tired of the fighting over meals. Good luck. Hang in there.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I just want to cry... its been one challenge after another with him and I feel like I got all the worst things you could hope for in one kid....colic, allergies, asthma, late walker/talker, picky beyond belief....ugh. I tell ya though...next child will be a piece of cake (since I experienced it all)...whenever that is
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011