Ever wonder...

If something you say or do on here, or even in real life, really effects someone else and their decision? After reading several posts on here today, and people's responses (and you all know what I'm talking about its not a big secret) I can't help but wonder if some of you haven't made an already bad situation worse. Do people take the time anymore to think before they speak/type? What if someone here was sitting on their computer holding a gun in one hand, and a phone in the other to call 911 and ask for help. They asked a question, reached out for help, and because some people feel the need to bash others to feel better about their own lives, the person pulled the trigger instead of making the call for help. I give my opinions on matters, I often speak my mind, I often don't agree with others, but I make a huge effort not to bash people. You never know when your words are going to be the last straw, the final remark to someone who just needed to hear you are valued, just lost and confused, instead of your a fucktard of a human being. Why can't we all just go back to kindergarden and be nice to one another?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree with you. Being hateful and calling people names serves no purpose. I don't have any idea why people behave that way. I wouldn't do it here or in real life.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You can't win in this type of situation. I have given what I thought were honest, meaningful answers only to be harassed about it. Some people just want you to agree with them and others want honest answers or information. You cannot tell from the other end of the computer which type of person you are dealing with.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If they ask people will respond. Whether they like the response or not.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 6:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• And my point, just because someone asks doesn't mean your response has to be rude, or just straight up mean... Giving one's opinion and being an ass are not synonymous with one another, and I don't understand when people think they became one in the same.
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I just got on for the 1st time today, so not sure to what you are referring. However, in the past, when someone posted a question about possibly being suicidal, I reported it to CM, since they know where the person is from & can hopefully get them some help. I would never be one of those heartless idiots yelling "jump" to the guy standing on the ledge!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I understand what you mean. Ive thought about it to an extent but suicide is a little extreme. If someone was that depressed and felt suicide was necessary then I dont think a CM repsonse was to blame. Thats going a little far.
    I get your concern though.Some ppl just do not have thick skin when it comes to other things and should not ask a ? if they are worried abou tthe response. But they do. Its somthing they need to learn to brush off/ignore.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Marwill: this is very true, its a sticky situation since you're right, you never know who is on the other end of that computer. Its just like in day to day life though, I think some people feel the need to be straight up assholes online because they hide behind the computer, but in real life would never say those things because they know they're mean and not helpful. Its ok to give honest answers, but the name calling and purposely bashing people I don't understand. To what purpose does that serve. By all means tell someone to get help, because they're not thinking normally, but don't call them names. Not that you did, just saying in general :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I am feeling uneasy thinking that I may have started this by saying that a person does not babysit their own children. I should have not left the question because she did not understand the concept. I left the question to avoid saying anything more. I was very surprised when I just looked back and saw 46 responses. The post must have hit a sore note. Maybe it is because this is the attitude women hear from men so often, and to hear a woman express themselves this way is very unsettling and hard to understand.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I agree with you . . . I think some of the responses were a little harsh . . . . I think that whoever "anonymous" is really needs help . . needs to talk things through with someone.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You should not ask questions on the internet and not expect rude answers.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 7:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2011