Should there be an age and/or number of children requirement to get a tubal done?

I have a friend who has been denied over and over to get a tubal because she is 27 and has no kids. I was given a Hell of a time after 2 because I was only 28 but because I had 2 kids they had to do it. I know each state is a little different but what are your thoughts on this. If a woman can choose what to do after conception shouldn't she be able to decide if she want to conceive at all?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 6:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Health

• I had my TL after my 3rd child when I was 22. I had to go through over a dozen surgeons before I found one who agreed to do it without the consent of my now ex husband (who was the reason for getting the TL!!!)... There needs to be federal legislative review, and new laws regarding requirements.
    No woman should be able to sue for the procedure having been done if she consented, and was of sound mind at the time. And no woman should be denied the right to control her own reproductive system.
    Men use pregnancy as a tool to control us, and giving more of us the ability to make that determination would significantly lessen the instance of spouse perpetrated rape with the express purpose of impregnating as a form of control.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Nope, there shouldn't. Any woman at any age over 18 should be able to get her tubes tied.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 6:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• But doctors saying "oh you might regret it later" is a bunch of crap.
    Anonymous

• I know my sister-in-law had a hard time convincing the doctor to do it after her 3rd. She was only 24, but she knew she didn't want more kids. They did finally agree. I understand their hesitance in doing the surgery on young women. I don't know how you would set a guideline for it. No two people or situations are alike.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• No. It's a woman's choice.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I believe it should be our own choice.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 7:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• i dont think it should be up to some doctor whether or not you can conceive later on. if you say tie them, as long as health is not an issue it should be done, regardless of age (over 18 obviously) and number of children.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My sister got one done at 23 after two kids with no problems. Is it a state issue or a doctor's one? I have always heard it was a doctor's thing, not a state one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I didn't know this. I would really be upset! it should totally be up to the woman.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• No
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2011