Is labor as painful as everyone says it is?

I have a while to go before I have my baby (I'm 7 weeks along), But I was just wondering.

Mommy0355

Asked by Mommy0355 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Just say yes to the pain meds, and you will be fine. :)

Really . . . epidurals can be so fantastic with how effective they are.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Birth is natural. Don't be scared of it. I had all three of my boys naturally, the smallest was 8 pounds and the largest was 9.9. It's a pain you can work with and a pain you forget about as soon as it's over.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Not if you go for the drugs. If you picture yourself as being constipated for the last 9 months and you have to go; it's almost similar to labor with the cramps on top of it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes, but the reward is so overwhelming that the memory of the pain fades quickly. You can always get an epidural to help too. Remember women have been having babies for centuries. Congrats!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Please dont let other people's experiences scare you. Everyone is different. Every labor is different. Talk over options *(like an epidural) w/ your Dr. And remember, the pain is temporary, but the love for that new little sweetie is forever! GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It really depends on how you deal with pain. For me I did not find it very painful and it wan't that long, I have 3 children, I was induced with 2 of them and my longest labor was 5 hours. I had an epidural with my first child and not with my other 2.

Good Luck and remember everyone is different and every labor is different, even for the same person. None of my labors where the same.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Just until the drugs kick in! My epidural only worked on one side for some reason. But the pain I did feel was totally worth it when I held my son for the first time.
    angiemgiu

Answer by angiemgiu at 7:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Remember that is is PAIN WITH A PURPOSE. It comes and goes. It is PRODUCTIVE pain, meaning it is DOING something- getting your baby out! There are a lot of ways to manage pain effectively, both medical and non-medical. I had an epidural, but it definitely didn't take away all the pain, and this is a common experience (and many women don't realize this). I would highly recommend a book called Birthing From Within by Pam England. It is one of few books about natural labor that doesn't chastise moms who decide on medical means of pain management, and it has a lot of really helpful methods. I plan to try hypnobirthing next time around, and, hopefully, having a water birth. Both of these are VERY effective ways to manage pain. Yes, labor is most definitely painful, however, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and the reward is fantastic, so it's all worth every bit of it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes and no. The first epidural worked great and I felt nothing. Loved it!! The 2nd epidural didn't work as well and ended up getting a shot to numb things. The 3rd was no meds at all. Didn't make it back to the hospital in time to get them. I was only in pain for about an hour our so before I delivered that time though. I think the last pregnancy was the easiest and shortest. I was in pain longer waiting for the epidural compared to the other times.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have a family history of side effects to epidurals so chose to have a shot called an inerthical. I loved it. Just a tid bit that might help you out. With my First child my water broke in bed and that was what started my labor. Labor when your water is broken is 1000 times worse then labor with the water. It may be me I do have a high tolerance for pain. With my second child I started having pressure with my contraction so I decided to go in. They gave me patocine to help my labor along and my labor was a breeze until my dr decided to break my water. I screamed for drugs after that. So my tip to you is no matter what drug you choose ask for it before they break your water.

You can do it. The first time around, no matter what anyone tells you, it is scary. Good Luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011