What are your thoughts on kids taking the purity pledge ?

angel mini

Asked by gwen20 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think that it means anything unless the child is doing it because they want to. For some parents, it lulls them into a false sense of security, then their child ends up pregnant. I think a better approach is to speak openly with your children about sex, make sure you are aware of any serious boyfriends/girlfriends, and get them on birth control if there's a chance they are going to have sex.

Answer by Scuba at 7:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think anything is possible to pledge, not so easy to keep

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• The one the girls make with their dads is downright CREEPY! i take issue with her virginity being dad's property somehow.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Let's hope that piece of paper is stapled to their head while they're getting hot & heavy in the back seat! -LOL Seriously, it's a nice idea, but I have to wonder if it really helps in the heat of the moment. I sure hope so.

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It has it's pros and cons. Some studies say it works; others say it doesn't. I all depends on the person taking the pledge.

Answer by purpleducky at 7:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Study after study has proven that children who are taught abstinence only have sex earlier, and are less likely to have safe sex, than children who have parents who are open with them regarding sex, protection, and the emotional consequences.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If my kids want to that's fine I guess but I am not throwing a purity ball or anything silly like that and my husband thinks it's creepy as well so he would want no part of it I am guessing.

Answer by Luuckymommy at 1:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Personally, I think that all it will do in the long run is cause the girls who have made the pledge to feel terrible guilt if they get caught up in the heat of the moment. At that age, girls have enough external pressure without having to deal with their own guilt... The idea has good intentions, but I think would do more harm than good

Answer by BriHan06 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• YES.. the pledge they make with their dad is very creepy .

Comment by gwen20 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2011