Why do some moms vote this down?

Over the last couple of days, diff ques. have popped up about labor & epidurals. I have noticed that some people who say to get the epidural are voted down. Really? First of all, it's a PERSONAL choice. It doesnt make you less of a women to choose not to suffer thru labor. (Who likes pain?) I've personally tried both natural cb & w/ the epidural. I loved my epidural guy! I still get the same prize at the end- so why suffer thru if you dont have to? Just saying?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Interesting isn't it? You'd think the entire point would just be to have a safe delivery for mom and baby but a lot of people out there like to judge and say they've read this study or that one and now they know better than anyone else. Both of my deliveries would be judged by those who don't like epidurals and pitocin but I don't care. It's no one's business but mine and I have two happy healthy kids. That is what matters.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree. :) We should all be allowed to have the type of labor that is good for us. These are our bodies.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Agreed!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Because some people have no tolerance for anything other than 100% natural childbirth. To each their own.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• There are some moms who believe that it's unnecessary, and don't have any problem telling any one who has had one they are wrong. You're right - it's a personal choice. I didn't have one for my first two because when it came time I didn't need one. (I would have happily had one if I needed it!!) With my last I did because I had an emergency c-section. I didn't have any complications until 3 days afterward, when I got the first migraine I've ever had. It's a fairly common side-effect, although most women have epidurals with no problem at all.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• There are some moms who judge others for not "toughing it out." I'm a big fan of natural labor, but it's not for everyone. In fact, I ended up with an epidural, and I'm glad I had it, even though it didn't take away nearly as much pain as I thought. Had I not had it, I would've been under general anesthesia for my emergency c-section, and I would've missed my son's first cry and holding him in the OR.
    I am not a fan of handing out epidurals like candy, but they do have their place. I don't vote down moms who support a mom's choice for medical means of pain management.
    That said, watching "One Born Every Minute" last week pissed me off, because the nurses were so condescending toward the moms who wanted to go naturally, and were basically pushing epidurals like they're a standard procedure.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I can't stand when people on here are rude about their opinions. The age old "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" comes to mind. it's different if you are asking for it but i don't think it's nice for people to comment on things that you aren't asking about.. i hope that made sense lol i don't want to give examples :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• When cortisol shoot through the mother's system because of pain, it also shoots through the baby's system. High cortisol levels can be damaging.
    A lot of the studies done labor drugs are purely correlative, not causative.
    The best person to answer to the real risks of utilizing medication would be a physician.
    Anecdotally, I am sure there are many of us out there who have epidural intervention who'e babies were high functioning, very repsonsive, healthy, and developmentally thriving.
    The expert is the medical professional. All of us here just offer opinion.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• They vote it down simply because they don't believe in it. Some women on here have very strong opinions about things. I personally think it's the mother's choice, and if it were really such an awful thing, I don't think doctors would be too keen on having epi's done as much as they are.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• doulala, How is it not the same? I did both and I can assure you that it is the same. I had my first child naturally and trust me I didn't feel all high and mighty. I was stupid for not getting the epi. They gave it to me after he was born, I ripped pretty badly. I don't remember much because I passed out from the trauma and didn't get to see my son until sometime later. But hey, I did it with no drugs, yay me right? (sarcasm) My second child was soooo much easier with the epi than without. I was even (gasp) induced. I had no problems what so ever. I had her in 5 and a half hours where my son took about 20. There was no complications, she was awake and alert and so was I this time around.
    dddd2776

Answer by dddd2776 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011