OH THOSE CHEERLEADERS!!!!!

My son is on the varsity team and had a basketball game at his high school last week. They were losing. In the stands were the parents, alumni, etc and those around me (parents of the team mostly) complained about the cheerleaders...how sad their performances were, not cheering at all, just walking around messing with classmates in the audience, etc. When it was time for half time performance they never smiled, just going through the routine as if forced, stopped before the music and just walked off. We didn't know whether to cheer or what. The complaints were so negatively against them. The parents volunteered me to speak with their captain. I wanted to anyway and when the cheerleaders went to the concession stand, I went over and introduced myself to their captain and asked was something bothering the girls; they looked so sad, are they mad the boys are losing? She said they lost the JV team so they are sad about that. I told her I was sorry but that this is varsity and they are varsity cheerleaders and their sadness is showing, the audience is making negative comments. She thought I was referring to the opponent audience until I told her, no, ours. I gave her an example of a rival team, who losses to us all the time but cheer their team as if they won the NBA championship, and reminded her that they are cheer-leaders and should cheer. The boys are losing but they are not giving up. I reminded her that I was just passing on info from the audience; thought she might want to know. She said she would talk to them. She had them in a huddle and spoke to them. After the game they glared at me as they walked out. I'm also upset with the moms who volunteered me to speak, for their post-non-support. When the girls were leaving the game, glaring at me, a mom sitting next to me said "oooh, they are going to kick your butt..." and then pointed at me saying, "she said it, not me." Another said that maybe I should not have said anything...she was the main one who said I should go because I'm active in the school. The next day, my son came home and said "Mom, the cheerleaders hate you." I will speak to the girls because I did not know they knew my son and apparently their team leader (a cheerleader who graduated 2 years ago) called me out to them but also twisted the info as if I'm the one who said all those things instead of being the one who passed on info. Today, I explained this situation to administration; they laughed and said I should have told them that they are busing out of their uniforms? I am not going to spread anymore bad news when I speak to them; What do you advise?

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 7:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• i'd call the principal or the cheer coach and explain what you were trying to tell the cheerleaders, they can maybe help them better understand what you were trying to say, as for them hating you? who cares it's just a bunch of teenage girls lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thanks, it was the cheer coach that I spoke with...not the captain as indicated.
    ladylovemm

Comment by ladylovemm (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• oh...my bad, idk i guess talk to the principal or just let it go, you can't make them be good at what they're supposed to be doing lol good try though, sounds like the coach has a stick up her ass
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ...for sure!!!! Just spoke to my son...he thinks it's funny and not to feel bad; the whole school hates them. I told him they need support too and the attitude starts at the top...that coach. Maybe she needs to be replaced. She is not teaching them good values and they are moving on to adulthood. I think I know what to do....
    ladylovemm

Comment by ladylovemm (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Was your son upset that you said something to the girls? I feel that you should have gone to the cheerleading sponsor. I have had three daughters on spirit groups and would have been upset that you confronted my child rather than an adult. I am also a cheerleading sponsor, and I, again, would have been upset if you had confronted one of the girls on the team rather than me. I don't think you need to say anything else.
    CnMe31

Answer by CnMe31 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• OK Stop...I didn't confront a child. I spoke discretely to the head cheer coach, the trainer, the adult...not the child or children. Her ego simply got bruised when I said some in the audience asked me to speak with her. She's an adult, not a teen. Anyway, at tonight's game, some of the girls came up and apologized to me. The others simply hugged my son...and he loved it. I guess that was their way of saying all is well. You mom's need to realize that it's ok to speak up and to realize that some people will just not tolerate criticism. The kids are ok...it's the trainer (the adult) with the problem in handling this.
    ladylovemm

Comment by ladylovemm (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2011