2 year old throwing a temper tantrum

Okay, I see some advice...

What can I do? My 2 yo DD is throwing a hissy fit...like kicking, screaming, hyper-ventilating.

Do I ignore it?

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I ignored my youngest when he did this and he stopped after a few times. I stayed calm and told him to come to me when he was done. The key was to stay calm with him. I wish you luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• At that age . . . distract. If that does not work, then touch them gently and say, "when you stop screaming, you can have a big hug.," Then, they can learn to associate being calm with you attention. When all else fails, just ignore them until they settle.
    Two is soooo hard on the ears sometimes!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• i have done the ignore (as long as in safe area to throw it)
    i did try the approach and hold her - made it worse
    so i make sure safetot hrow, let her throw it
    when she has calmed a bit, i go closer but not too close, close enough she can see me and i play quietly with something, making sounds like i am having fun- not loud fun, but quiet little fun, when she is ready she decides that that looks like more fun than having fit, and she is not getting attention for the fit

*also, i found that when i took artifcial food dyes out of her diet, her tantrums level decreased
    red #40 was a huge trigger for her having tantrums, i found this out at age 2
    she is three and hasl now, still has tantrums, but diet change helped alot
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't have any advice that has not already been said I just wanted to say hang in there!
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2011