Is anyone familiar with hud housing? is there a way to get bumped up on the waiting list?

hello all. i have recently applied to two different housing units and i was told its gonna take awhile to get in. i am in a bad situation right now with my childrens father. i live with him and he is cheating on me and spending money left and right out at the bars and doing stuff he shouldnt be doing. he told me he hates me and i do not want to keep living like this i need out. is there any way to get into these units faster i was wondering. i have asked them and they seem to just ignore the question. i live in pa. in the natrona area. i have applied to village green and negley gardens. thanx so much!!! if you work for hud that would really help me to know. :)

haley8282

Asked by haley8282 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• Contact your local social service office and tell them what is going on. Maybe they can help you get in faster. I know my sister in law was abused and she had no place to go and they got her and the kids in a place real quick
    timmsa

Answer by timmsa at 7:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I know that you can get bumped up if you are staying in a homeless shelter. You would have to declare your family homeless on the application
    cashgirl88

Answer by cashgirl88 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• what she said up there, be homeless, in your case an abused womans shelter.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Unfortunately, the other ladies are right - if you are homeless or living in a shelter you will get in quicker. I know people that have been waiting for over a year, there are a lot of areas where the number of people who qualify for housing outnumber the number of homes available by quite a bit. In Cleveland, there are families living in shelters for up to a year.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• thanx guys yeah i know that its just its not bad enuf to go in a shelter and i really dont want to put my kids in one. im trying to make this as drama free as possible. i wonder if i call the hope center if they could bump me up? i have dealt with them before. i was seperated from him before and i had to get a pfa against him. i had nowhere to go this last time and be with my kids so i had to come back. he doesnt abuse me physically. hes just a mean person. now he says that whatever money he makes isnt mine. ha thats funny cuz he uses my bank account!! so i have been secretly taking money recently and putting it into my paypal account :) i just really need to get into housing asap. thanx guys for your responses!!! :)
    haley8282

Comment by haley8282 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2011