How old was your child when they learned their colors?

DD is 25 months and knows some of her colors but sometimes she will act like she forgot them and calls everything green. It's frustrating sometimes. I'm not sure if that's normal.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know my youngest wasn't two yet, I want to say 20 months or so? Every child learns differently and at their own pace. Maybe she's just not interested in colors yet? Talk to your pediatrician if you are concerned, it's probably normal.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• my daughter turns 2 in 9 days and only knows them if i really help her, id say she doesnt "KNOW THEM KNOW THEM" but she can say them and i help her a lot. so id say your normal
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• That's perfectly normal. It's not that they "Forget" persay, it's more that they get confused. For lack of a better word. There's a lot of new information going through their head and sometimes they'll stick to one thing that's easy for them to remember. My son is two and knows most of his primary colors, but sometimes he'll call everything "Red", "Black", or "Yellow". It's normal and they'll grow out of it as they learn how to store the information and use it properly.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My daughter is 28 months and is now naming colors consistently correct, without help. But until recently she would make mistakes (especially between "grey" and "brown", "red" and "pink" but those are confusing). Now she even differentiates between light and dark green, blue, whatever. I think your daughter sounds about on track for her age. And what a delightful age it is, hey. Enjoy every breath of it! :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My daughter was close to 4 until she got this perfected.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• my son is also 25 months old and everything if you randomly ask him what color something is is red...like you its frustrating for me b/c sometimes he can say mom look blue or green or whatever and he is getting it right. Makes me wonder if he is just being stubborn lol
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2011