what causes u to retain fluid? also i have high blood pressure.

i have gained 14 lbs since last monday. my blood pressure is staying high like 150/107 i have a dr appointment today. im 39 weeks along. im hoping he will take the baby. i have been having contractions for 5 weeks. he said if there was a change when i went in today he will take him. but what is causing me to retain fluid? i have been tested for preaclamsiea and i dont have it.

mom-to-be21

Asked by mom-to-be21 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had the exact same problem when I was pregnant. Seriously, I weighted 115 when I got pregnant and when i went to have the baby I was 155.

After I had the baby, I could literally feel the water sloshing in my feet when I walked. I would lose like 5 pounds a day just peeing! After 2 weeks without any effort I was back in my pre-baby jeans!

I'm not exactly sure why this happens to some women but it does run in my family. I would guess it has something to do with the kidneys.

Because of my blood pressure and water retention, they did deliver me about 4 weeks or so early.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 9:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• it is really hard to say, because you are soooo far.

usually, fluid is retained because of unhealthy eating, and inadequate water intake. Good luck
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008