Quitting breastfeeding and fertility?

How long before your fertile again after weaning? Is breastfeeding like taking BC pills that it takes awhile before you can get pregnant again?

zimmtobe

Asked by zimmtobe at 8:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Breastfeeding doesnt stop you from getting pregnant
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Breastfeeding can impede fertility, it's natural birth control. However with me it did not. I think, although I've not been through it myself, that once you stop it should only be a month/2/3 or so before you get your periods and normal cycle back and therefore can conceive again.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My hubby and I were trying to get pregnant when I was still breastfeeding. Until I had gone down to only 1 or 2 night feedings it didn't happen. And it took about 2 months, but we were trying and both of us are very fertile :)
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My friend corrected me... it apparently took her a year!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My friend was exclusively breastfeeding her 6 month old and became prego! They were in shock! We all were! She wasn't even getting her periods yet so it was not until she was 3 months along that she found out...she went to the dr complaining of weight gain and exhaustion...they did a prego test and end of story!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Typically mine returns well after the first year (14 months with baby #1 and 16 months with baby #2) when I've dropped down to just a few feedings a day.

You can determine whether or not your fertility is returning by charting. I've been able to have unprotected sex without fear of getting pregnant the ENTIRE time my periods were away because I charted and knew I wasn't ovulating.

If you are EXCLUSIVELY breastfeeding, do not have a period and your baby is under 6 months your chances of getting pregnant are LESS THAN 2%.

Once you wean fertility (if it's still away) typically returns VERY quickly.

Get the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility and learn to chart. That way you can "catch" the first egg if you are TTC or at the very least learn to look for signs so you can get pregnant quickly after your first post partum period.

Good Luck To You!!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Here are facts:

Ecological breast feeding is a type of breast feeding practice that is for infants under 6 months. It must be followed strictly. It has a 98% effectiveness for preventing pregnancy. No pacifiers, feed on demand, no bottles, etc.

The average return of the menstrual cycle for breast feeding women is 14.5 months.

Now those facts have nothing to do with personal experience. Plenty of people get pregnant while breast feeding and nurse a baby through out pregnancy just fine.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• my sister got pregnant less then 2 months after she stopped breastfeeding her oldest
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 12:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Once again Miasmommy is right on the money. Breastfeeding is not birth control but it can help DELAY ovulation.
    Don't rely on it 100%, if you want to wait to conceive, use another form of birth control.

If you WANT to get pregnant, don't wean just to conceive and possibly deprive your baby of precious breastmilk, just let it happen.

That's my advice
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2011