Is my newborn having a seizure?

my newborn was born on feb 4 and we now are home. i have watched her and at times she seems to cry for nothing at all. and at those times when she is done crying and screaming , her eyes roll back and then dart back forth from side to side. is this a type of seizure?

penrich

Asked by penrich at 8:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would call the dr and ask them
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• sounds like it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Newborns tend to not be able to control their eyes like that, i dont think its a seizure but you should bring it up to dr to ease your mind
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I dont know for sure but it sounds like something scary to see. I would call her pediatrician asap and ask them.Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My oldest did that. Yes, they were seizures. Get baby into the doc first thing tomorrow unless it happens again tonight.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I do not know for sure either, but I would definitely contact your Ped. If anything, it will help give you piece of mind!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It might be, or it might not, either way no one can really tell you for sure. What you need to do though is next time she does it video tape it, whether it be cam corder or cell phone video. Tape the whole thing to make sure youve got everything the doctor might want to see. The next time she starts doing this take her to the ER. That way if she doesnt do it for them, show them the video of her doing that. I say the ER because seizures should not be messed with and at a hospital they can give her an immediate MRI and/ or CT scan whereas if you go to the doctor either he will order one (and you will have to wait) or he will just wind up sending you to the ER anyway..and that just wastes time. If she is doing this, make sure she is not laying on her back, because if it is a seizure she could vomit and choke on it, or her tongue might get in the way, either keep her on your shoulder or put her on her side. Good luck!!!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 8:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• agree with above
    call an on-call nurse at ped office tonight
    ask nurse
    or call er to ask, of course an er will usually not give any advice except come in
    but speaking to a medical person tonight would be my plan
    and take baby into ped in am

good luck, hugs- that is so scary sounding
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• video tape it - great idea!!
    medical person needs to see and of course will not happen when you bring baby in
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• yes, video tape it and then get her to the ER as soon as it happens.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2011