Knee Replacement?

Has anyone had knee replacement? I'm only 41, I've had two different orthopedic surgeons tell me that I have maybe a year and I'm going to need one. I'm young for this, I guess they only last about 15 years and then reconstruction has to be done. I'm a little freaked out - I'm an active person, really worried about what life is going to be like?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 8:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Health

• Girl,you can do this.
    Last I heard was that they last about 20 years.
    My brother had both his knees done 4 weeks apart and was back at work delivering mail in 8 weeks, a walking route.
    You will be pain free afterwards for the most part, but you gotta give it your all in PT. GL!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My dad had both of his done at the same time. He did pretty good, too. I agree with jewjew. My dad said lots of ppl didn't want to do the PT. So they were there foreverrrrr. It would irritate him. He was out of there fast. He's also had his hips replaced, though not both at the same time. But you would probably do better, being younger. My dad's in his late 60's. He was in a ton of pain, and once he got his knees done, he wasn't in that pain anymore.
    It's just a huge shock, when you are told something like this. Once you get used to it, and get it all figured out, it's ok. You will be A-ok!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I've never had one but I've done plenty of them in surgery....I can understand your fear...however, we have done them on many people in their 40s...they are very happy with the results...and when they say reconstruction, that means another knee to replace the other implant. it also depends on how rough you are with it...good luck!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You are most certainly welcome.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If your determined to get better and get out there you will heal faster. You really got to work with physcial therapy. Only do one knee at a time though alot of people get both done and wish they hadn't
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• good luck!!!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thank you ladies! Jewjewbee - that makes me feel so much better. I was sitting in the waiting room today with people in their 70's with walkers - I was pretty depressed after I left the docs. I started doing on-line searches and I had to stop, I was hoping that someone had some real-life experience with this. I really appreciate the input.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2011