Tips on Getting Curls to Stay In?

My hair is straight, fine, and thick. My hairdresser said it's the perfect storm of flat hair :) I can't get a curl to stay in my hair for anything (it's to my bra strap, cut in just a few long layers). I was going to try setting my hair in curlers to see if I could get at least some waves, but how should I do it? Gel or something before I roll? Hairspray? Help, please.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 8:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Yes, spray it as you are rolling the hair. Use lots of rollers and do not use thick strands of hair. It would help if you set it wet. Try a few different ways and see what happens.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have the same hair but mine is really long. The only way I can get curls to stay all day is to take each piece of hair, spray it, curl it, roll the curl up to the scalp, and pin it there. I let them cool and set, remove the pins, and finger through the curls.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Start with day old dirty hair

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• At least 1 day unwashed hair, preferably wet, use a creme rather than a gel. My sis has teh same issue, and has always harped on my for my shirley temple curls. damn I hate these curls!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes don't have freshly washed silky hair, use mouse & of you are using a curling iron spray some hairspray on each curl as you have it in the curling iron the a little spray again when you take it out of the curling iron
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Try using a setting lotion. One brand is called Lotta Body. Its kind of a leave in conditioner, but works best if you roller set wet hair.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• what my hair dressers did was had my hair dirty, rolled it up in metal curlers caked a butt load of hairspray on them then had me sit under a dryer.
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Have you tried rag curls?

tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• sorry but could you explain rag curls?
    taraniccole

Answer by taraniccole at 6:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I always use a very hot curling iron, and/or hot curlers. I use a tiny bit of olive oil in my hair after I blowdry (to keep my hair looking shiny and glossy--and olive oil tends to work well). If you don't mind using hair spray, use Assuie Instant Freeze--simply the best--and cheap, and that keeps my curls ALL DAY LONG. ;)
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2011