2 year old boy dies from pneumonia because his parents did not believe in medicine;

their religion believes in the healing power of prayer. they are morons imo. this isn't the 1st time i have heard of a story like this,it needs to stop , very disgusting.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think in these cases doctors should have permission to take the child and give him the medicine he needs without the parent's permission. These people are literally incapacitated by their religion.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• ya know what though??? there's a lot of people who don't believe in "western" medicine regardless of beliefs....it's the same with vaccines...someone will die before they wake up....not opening a can of worms...Im just sayin
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• She said morons not mormons
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If a parent chooses not to have their child vaccinated, fine. But a baby dies from something that can be easily treated with antibiotics? Sorry, THAT is neglect, WILLFUL neglect. There is NOTHING i wouldn't do to save my child's life.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Playing the religion card is appropriate when one is making that critical decision for one's self, but I'm sorry, a child deserves legal representation when a parent is making life or death decisions for another based on their personal, religious beliefs. The parent and child are NOT 1 being. Give the CHILD an appointed, legal voice, to determine if she/he will be treated and most likely survive or be denied standard treatment, and possibly die-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Well, lots of people don't practice "modern" medicine. Do you feel the same way about parents who don't vaccinate their children?

Answer by 5BabyBees

There's a big difference between not vaccinating and not treating an illness when it becomes life threatening.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I liked leah_rai's idea, but the court system is too slow to help out everyone. By the time the Dr. gets the court order, it could be too late. While some could say it's God's will, I would argue that God also gave us Drs w/ vast knowledge & medicine to cure illnesses. How sad. I hope if they have other children, they will learn from this very painful lesson.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Drs can get court orders to treat in-patients, if parents refuse consent to provide for obvious, treatable needs.

If a parent refuses to seek reasonable therapy for a treatable condition, no matter their reasons, that should be considered neglect and punishable to the full extent of the law-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It's horrifying to me that anyone has to die from a treatable illness, especially a child. At the same time, we have freedom of religion in this country. Those parents believed they were doing the best they could for their child; there was no ill-intent on their part. It's not for me (or the law) to say that the little boy was supposed to live - within their belief system it's up to God.

*I* would (and have) used every modern technique available to help my children when they've been ill, but just because I believe in it doesn't mean that it's right (or wrong.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Well, this country is based on freedom of religion, which alows you to practice or not practice whatever religion you want. If that is their religion then let it be. Its sad, yes, but there is nothing we can do about, people have the right to believe whatever they believe in.

__________________

Should the same be said for the parents of the Paradise girl that was beaten to death in the name of god, by her zealot homeschooling parents last year?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011