HELP! I have a very usually tired 8 yr old little boy!

I was wondering if anybody had similar problems and could give me some advice. He is sooooooo tired all the time and very grumpy even when he gets enough sleep! Do you think he has a like a iron problem? I would very much appreciate any input on this!
Thanks!
Emily

uexpectdblesins

Asked by uexpectdblesins at 9:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you need to have him seen by a Dr. as soon as you can get an appoitnment. Iron defienciency will cause fatiguw, but so will many, many pother things. It is in his best interests to have him evaluated by a professional.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• If he is unusually tired for someone of his age - take him to the doctor ASAP! I don't know if it could be iron (I was anemic when I was little) but it could be that or something else. Or it could be nothing. From heart issues (my friend's daughter had low energy and had a heart condition) to diet it could be so many things. Low energy is something to be concerned about and I would bring him in today and not wait another week.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:07 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Thank you so much! I was thinking the same thing just wanted more of a input!
    uexpectdblesins

Answer by uexpectdblesins at 9:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I know it is hard. We always have that inner instinct that something is not right yet so many people are quick to say something like - its a growth spurt, its a phase, ect... Good luck and I hope your little man is okay.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:40 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I would take him in to get checked out. To check his blood and make sure he has enough iron. Best case scenario he is just going through a growth spurt and just wants to sleep all the time. Worst case scenario he could have something like Mono. It is common in young children to get mono too. Or he may have another medicalo condition. You never know and just to be on the safe side I would just get it checked out.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 9:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Take him in and get a blod test done, he may just be anemic. Also I don't know the exact name for it, but there is some type of disorder, seasonal something or other, where people become very tired in the fall and winter months because they don't get enough sun light.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Take him to the doctors. If they say all is well...you may ask to be referred to a sleep clinic. If you go to the sleep clinic and all shows well put a hidden camera in his room and make sure he isn't staying up too late...:o)
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 1:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• go to the dr. is he drinking alot? check his blood sugar
    makeupmom2

Answer by makeupmom2 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2008