How did you deal with your first (long) time away from your child?

My husband booked us a cruise for may. We will be gone a total of ten days. I am very excited but nervous about not being with my daughter for that long. She is 16 months now and will be 19 months then. I haven't been away from her for one night yet (we've gone out but never stayed out). I'm going to do a couple day trial run soon. She is going to my MIL's 3 hours away. I'm nervous that I can't do this or that she will be upset. What do you think? How did you manage?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you will be fine -- you will be nervous, of course, and you will miss her like crazy -- you will probably even call numerous times just to hear how much fun she is having and then she can babble into the phone.

Personally -- I cried myself to sleep I missed mine so much -- but then again, I didn't have a cruise to distract me a little? :-)
    Good luck mom --- go have fun!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Also -- the trial run is a great idea -- that will probably make you a lot more comfortable with the idea!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Oh, I cried, and cried . . . . but, my baby was in good hands and was just fine when I returned.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I also cried myself to sleep during my first time too. I had to distract myself constantly in order to not think about it so much. I have since come to terms with it. A trial run is a great idea and having someone you trust to watch her is one of the most important things.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 9:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't know...My children are 23, 19, 12, 7, and 3 with a 2 year old granddaughter...I'M STILL WAITING TO FIND OUT!
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011