What would u do in this situation?? adult content

Heard on the world news that a woman who was 16 weeks pregnant in CO was mistakenly given a "abortion pill" that is given to women in chemo or a victim of rape ect instead of the antibiotic her doc had prescribed. Her doc said she will either miscarry or the baby will have really bad birth defectsl, or die at the moment of labor and endanger the mom.
Of course the pharamacy sends their regrets and will pay for any hospital bills. What would u do in this type of situation?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Someone in the pharmacy needs to be held accountable. Whether it was the tech or the pharmacist who should be looking at the bottles and pills that go into them. There needs to be accountability. Even if it involves lawsuits. I'm not "sue happy". I tend to look at it on a case by case basis and there is certainly cause. It won't change the outcome of her baby, but it will hold people responsible. I would also wait and see what happens to my baby before I made any other decisions with the pregnancy. That's going to be up to her.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• that is devastating!! i would sue the living #$)%$#(%) out of the pharmacy that made that mistake. as far as the baby goes, it is in God's hands what happens now. i would have the baby and hope it survived and love it as though nothing was wrong. i will keep this woman in my prayers
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I feel terrible for her, but I'm not certain that she has any real grounds to sue the pharmacy. Yes, they made a mistake, but SO DID SHE! Why on earth did she take medication that had someone else's name on it? Why did she even leave the pharmacy with it? Maybe it's because I grew up with a nurse as a mom, or because I was taught to not just blindly trust everyone, but on the rare occasion that eithr DH or I get a prescription, we check it. The label, the dose, even how many pills are in the bottle. I have definitely found mistakes. I always know exactly what med I'm getting, the generic name, and the dose before I ever leave the doctor's office. As TikiWiki said, no matter what it's a lose/lose situation. Right now she has some hard choices to make, and suing the pharmacy won't fix any of the problems.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• ....Yes, I would sue the living crap out of that place. I'm not sure what I would do about the child. I guess I would wait and see what happens. Only time will tell.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 9:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• oh, and of course I'd get a good lawyer and sue the pharmacy...
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• re-check the story
    here is a link
    http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/08/pregnant-colorado-woman-mistakenly-given-abortion-pill/

No mention of 100% certain of anything- "could miscarry" 'could have defects"

Even with that- and even if the baby is OK- the mental anguish is something that needs to be addressed over and above medical bills-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I agree with Farmlady09...why do you BLINDLY take a med with out reading the paperwork thta comes with it? You don't check the label? I get meds by mail from the VA & I have been on some of them for 7 years, I STILL check the label, paperwork, etc. I feel SO bad for her, but come on is sueing the pharmacy, possibly putting ppl out of work( not just the pharmacy ppl) really worth it? Is it gonna help your baby? We have become SO quick to place blame on other ppl, we need to be responsible for our own actions!!

With ultrasound, they will be able to tell if there are any problems with the child. How can they POSITIVELY tell her the baby will die at onset of labor??

If you read med labels they almost all say could cause death...Give the baby a chance!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 3:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would sue, they made the mistake and now they can pay for it. And wait why didn't the lady read the info packet that comes with the pill i always do even if it is the right meds. Kinda of dumb not to at least look them over. Of course something like this happened to me when i was pregnant with my first i had to have me appendix taken out and they gave me liquid lortab for the pain after wards. well my sister in law picked it up and read what it said for dosage and it said take 2 to 3 tablespoons and she call the pharmacy to find out if that was right because it sound like a too high of dose. Pharmacy said that is what the doctor wrote, well come to find out the doctor wrote 2 or 3 tsp. not tablespoons my goodness.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I know everyone seems to be "sue" happy anymore, but in this case I would sue them for anything and everything!!! I also think I would want to miscarry my baby, although I am sure many of u will argue with that. But the other option could be really severe birth defects, and quite honestly, I couldn't do that and be able to take care of the baby. I really greatly admire the women who are able and capable to take care of a baby with a birth defect. The other option is the possibilty of me dying during labor. All I know is that my prayers weill be for that woman, and that God will help her make the right decision.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• @ethans_ma........Her doc said with 100% certainity, the baby will have severe birth defects cause of the studies that were done when the drug first came out. Some of the studies showed the child had a deformed body, for example, right side of the head wouldn't be there or at least a very thin layer of skin, and a bunch of other things I rather not go into.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2011