Another autism question

Another poster had asked for the signs of autism, so i was gonna help out and i did some research for her but i was unable to respond to due temporary comp problems. but while i was searching i realized my son has alot of symptoms..the doctor did question me awhile back about what he did at home and autism but it never went further and i blew it off..now im wondering if i shoulda been more serious about it. He is two and never points at all to anything (that might be because ive never taught him though, i was taught it was rude to point and never made a habit of showing him). He also will lay on the ground for hours and stare at spinning car wheels (that he spins). He doesnt hold on to me when i pick him up, he is dead weight he has done that though since he was very young. He does the hand flapping, spinning in circles for ages, head banging. He only says a couple words but that could be because all kids are different when it comes to saying words at any age. But he is social, he will run up to you and talk to you(blabber) and he talks to strangers and anyone who talks to him, he doesnt look at me in the eyes often, but he does and that could just be from him being two and having the attention span of a knat (lol typical two year old). I guess im asking, does this sound like a typical two year old? This is my first child and the only other child i have to go off of is his cousin and he has asbergers (dx from doctor!) so i cant really judge it with him. Can a child have autism but be social? Am i just being weird and an overanxious mother? Thanks!!

Bobbysgurl

Asked by Bobbysgurl at 9:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, a child can have autism and be very social. I have a nephew who is 6 and just started talking, moderately autistic, but extremely social. Its hard to say without knowing your child or seeing him in person. Fixation on a specific item for great lengths of time (hours) can be a sign of autism, but at 2 my son LOVED ceiling fans, and at 5 is not autistic and never was. The lack of eye contact and holding on to you are also big indicators of Autism, but again, can also just be your son being "lazy" when it comes to helping you hold his weight. At 24 months of age your son should really being saying a minimum of 50 isolated words. 30 could just be a slow talker, but if he's only muttering 5 or so that is cause for a speech delay concern. But again, I don't know your son so I can't diagnose him. I can say if you're concerned mention it to the ped. the earlier he gets intervention the better if Autism is the case. Good Luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thank you for your comment!!! I am so confused on the matter, lol yea my son likes ceiling fans too!! Actually thats how i can get to cook, by keeping him entertained with the ceiling fan or a car. He even goes to the extent of turning his stroller upside down to spin the wheels, i thought it was so cute...now im alittle worried. Yes he actually is turning two in a couple days (so i just call him two) and that means check up! I will be speaking with his ped. about it, i just wanted some other mommies opinions!! LOL, and yes! My son very well could be lazy, lol i wouldnt put it past him!
    Bobbysgurl

Comment by Bobbysgurl (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• my child has autism and is very social

should not have to teach pointing, it comes natural to child (mine i had to teach=autism)
    staring at things spin for long periods of time= autism
    hand flapping = autism'speech delay= autism
    head banging=autism
    dead weight not holding.hugging on = autism
    spiining in circles = autism.....after he spins=look at his eyes, should be flickering back and forth rapidly, and he should be dizzy=if he is not dizzy at all= this is his propreoceptive vistibular system not working=autism
    does not look you in the eye=autism

lazy?? at two years old = NO a two year old is not lazy, lazy is learned, he is too young to be lazy

email me if you like, have a child with autism, was 2 when we got offical word, she is now three and a half, would be happy to help you on your path, other moms help me who have child older than mine

ask ped for referral to birth to three, they helped ALOT
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yeah even at 5 my son still loves to spin his bike wheels, or stroller wheels, he flips the cars over at school and plays with the wheels. Its just a habit of his, he definitely thinks and views the world very differently then children his age, but has been tested to be cognitively advanced, so thats why. Instead of riding a bike my son wants to know how it works, and not just "the wheels spin", he wants to know the grown up terms and the actually mechanics involved. And I put "lazy" in quotes for a reason, I was not calling your son this, just to clarify, I meant some children won't hold their own weight because they don't want to, not because they can't. I say "lazy" with a smile on my face because you know the child is just being stubborn, not necessarily incapable of doing the action. Def. talk with the Dr. and if you feel the diagnosis is incorrect (whatever it be) don't be afraid to get a second opinion. :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• how old is your son?
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thanks girls! I was never well read on the subject of autism. I just wanted to help out a fellow poster and it seems like i should have taken care of this a long time ago, I should have been more aware, more intune, i guess. I will say, when he spins, he does get dizzy. That i do know because he laughs and runs into things. So he might just be spinning for that effect. @fiatpax, thank you for your offer of me emailing you. That was very nice, i might take you up on that offer. @ ba13 ...oh hun! I know you didnt mean it like that! I know how you meant it!!! No worries! It is true though!!! He might be just wanting me to hold his own weight. I have noticed he is doing this more because now he wont even help me get him out of his high chair, i know this because its starting to take a toll on my back!! LOl, @ Proverbs, my son will be two years old in a couple days. Thanks again everyone! its so nice to have support! I feel alone!
    Bobbysgurl

Comment by Bobbysgurl (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• you are not alone
    i felt that way, still do at times
    hard road
    other moms who are further down the road help
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yeah you're def. not alone, I know what its like to think somethings off but not know what that is. And I work with parents everyday who feel the same way you do. Glad I could offer encouragement and happy birthday to your son :) Get ready for the terrible 2's LOL! (I actually thought 3 was worse then 2, but then 4 was worse then 3 in the beginning lol... I guess it's terrible childhood lol)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Thanks guys! It means alot to me to know im not alone. I tried to talk to my husband about it and he blew it off saying he doesnt have autism, he is a perfectly healthy two year old. Maybe he is, i hope so, my heart always go out to those who have children with disabilites. Their families have my struggles as do the children and unfortunately some of those children will never get to experience a "normal" healthy life. To Ba13 ...thank you for the happy birthday to my son! It will be interesting, we are taking him and some other children to a blow up playhouse for the first time! And yes he already is hitting the "terrible 2s" ...the tantrums have begun! LOl i did hear that the terrible twos last all throughout childhood, teenhood and sometimes beyond! Im tired just thinking about it!
    Bobbysgurl

Comment by Bobbysgurl (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• not holding own weight
    could be weak core strength
    could be another trait/sign of some issue

my daughter used to NOT get dizzy, she usually does now-good!-one less thing to worry about
    wanting to know how things work-smart kid- could also be aspergers, high speech level usually, high intellgence-but sees things differently, and social skills very different

get him looked at by medical
    my childs father was in denile for a long time too-pretty common for a lot of fathers to look the other way(fathers do this more than moms-get the way it is)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2011