Any Idea what this Rash could be on my 4 year old?

He has been battling this condition for about 3 years off and on now and he is 4 currently. He has been to MANY Dr's and we are currently in touch with him Pediatrician and a Dermatologist and no one can seem to tell us anything. Until last night there has been no symptoms beside the rash and PAIN (very painful...burning rash) but last night he started itching (we had to take shift rubbing his back from 9pm-3am) and he is unable to sleep. Lotions burn his skin worse and he has been on Prednison with no results. Benadyrl does nothing and when he gets in and out of the bath it seems to flare up even more. He WHOLE ENTIRE Back is covered and there is no normal looking skin left (pic above was taken a week ago it is WAY worse right now). It spreads at time to his chest & Neck. But at the present time it is only on his back, sides, creeping up on to his neck, and 2 spots-one on each butt cheek. The best way to describe it is if you are looking at him in person he looks like a recovering burn victim. I just want the pain to go away and him to have a normal childhood.  If anyone has any suggestions or has seen anything like this before PLEASE Let me know any ideas I can toss around are greatly appreciated!!!surrender

CHLOABUG126

Asked by CHLOABUG126 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Okay...weird question. Has he ever been tested for step? Looks like scarlet fever to me.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• i have never seen something like that but i can sugest um vitamin e oil may help
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Have you changed laundry detergent? It could be a reaction to that, or maybe something he's eaten. The best thing to do is to get another opinion, from a dermatologist possibly.. I wish I could help more, I hope you find out , and he's feeling better soon...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• try skinsight.com and plug in your matches.
    that looks like an allergic reaction but your description matches eczema.
    I have no idea momma, :(
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• it may also be the detergent your useing or something growing out side the he plays in.. i hope you figure out what it is best wishes
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Sleepingbeautee might have hit it on the head.. Our oldest had scarlet fever when he was a baby and broke out really bad... It's worth mentioning to the Dr..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Has he had an allergy test? He needs to have a comprehensive one done in case it is an allergy to something.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• He has been tested for strep and it came back negative...And it can't be scarlet fever because there is no other symptoms that fit that diagnosis. But Great suggestions...Thank you

As far as the vitamin E oil we have tried that and it burned his skin to the point he was screaming in pain...the only thing we are able to put on it to help sooth it a TINY BIT is Eucerin Cream.
    CHLOABUG126

Comment by CHLOABUG126 (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Oh boy, I am so sorry for you guys, this must be so awful. I'm sure it's been suggested but can't be the detergent? If I were you, I'd see another dermatologist. Rashes are so hard. Are you in a large city or small town? Might be worth going to a big town to seek help. Sometimes the rashes are a symptom of an underlying issue, has he been blood tested for things?

Maybe a bath should be luke warm? Heat sounds like it makes it worse. Can you use an Aveeno product or Aquaphor for the itching?
    And there's no mold or anything strange in his bedroom that isn't in yours? Have you tried using all cotton bedding (no feathers, no polartec)?

I wish you good luck.
    Anonymous

• try no fabric softener and get him an allergy test. Its a pain in the A$$ getting the allergy test but at least then you can rule out the obvious and maybe even know what it is. Good luck and just know that the test will at the least rule out things so you can give you r kid things with no guiiltt. I would try colidal oatmeal bath. no perfumes.
    prettymango

Answer by prettymango at 10:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2011