How many pets does it take to make you an animal hoarder?

I'm watching the show tonight for the first time. One has ten (eight cats, two dogs) and that's a lot but the other guy has 30 (yes, thirty!) dogs. Even at the end of the show he kept 18. To me that's still too many (they are all inside dogs). So, how many animals does a hoarder make?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pets

• I feel like one with 9 guinea pigs. Not that they are crawling all over the house and I have guinea pig droppings everywhere, but ugh..
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I believe no more than 4 cats are allowed legally. dogs its 2. oher than that i have no idea.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 10:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yea Legally no more then 5 animals in the home. It might differ per animal, but that's the general number.
    Also, the number of animals doesn't neccissarily make you a horder, but also the conditions you keep the animals in.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Hoarding begins with the first one that isn't properly cared for, makes the clean-up too much to handle, or doesn't get daily love and attention.

I don't think any one number is a magic 'this is a hoarder' deal. I've seen people who can't take care of a single pet, and people who care for 20 very well. It depends on a person's priorities, finances, physical health, and mental health. Just my opinion.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Anything more then 5
    Mommy0355

Answer by Mommy0355 at 3:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• when u cant cope or its causing a problem i guess
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I say more then 5, and I was watching the same show last night.. I honestly have NO idea why ppl do it!!!!
    Marine_Wifey89

Answer by Marine_Wifey89 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• As long as you can physically, mentally, AND financially take care of them, it doesn't matter how many you have! I only saw the commercials for that episode, but it was obvious to me that man was NOT properly taking care of those dogs. It looked to me that they all had some kind of skin issues going on!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The laws controlling the number of pets you can own vary by city. Where I live there is no ordinance to limit the number per household. I agree with other posters, it's not how many you own but the care they get. Owning pets is different than hoarding. Hoarding is a mental condition in which the hoarder believes that only they can provide the necessary care for the pets and they have an unhealthy attachment with the animals (just like a person who hoards items). You can't compare pet ownership to animal hoarding, they are entirely different.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 10:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It's not the number....it's when the animals become more important than humans. I know a lady that has 13 dogs, large dogs, lives in a single wide mobile home and the dogs sleep in the bed and her husband sleeps on the floor. OMG What kind of an idiot is he?
    The 2 of them have to off their rocker to have let this happen.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2011