what should the school do?

This little punk kid in my daughter class hit my daughter with a ruler on her butt. She told him to stop and he told her no. I found out this morning that he also hit another little butt with his hand before. I am really mad. What should I do? She is in 1st grade.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Talk to the teacher. They should talk to him and warn him about what will happen next time they find out about this behavior of his. That's harrassment. Sorry!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Talk to the teacher, they have strict "no tolerance" policies in place now. I would bring this to her attention, right away.

Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 9:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You don't mention what, if anything, you've already tried, so please don't be mad if my suggestions are too simple b/c you've already done them. My first step would be to talk to the teacher, find out if she even knows it happened. If she does know, find out what she did, if anything. If she did nothing, or what she did didn't do any good, then move up to the principal. Keep moving up from there. You say he hit someone before. If nothing was done about that first time, and the teacher knew, I'd fight a lot harder. If you find out that this is the first the teacher is hearing of any of this, or that the teacher didn't hear anything until your daughter told him/her what the boy did, but she talked to the parents or whatever, I'd let it drop unless something more happens, and then I'd make a big stink.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• There is a line between blowing it out of proportion and not doing anything. And schools are not always the most cooperative b/c it sometimes feels like parents accuse them of not doing their job. So what to do? I would: 1.) talk to my child about bullies and harassment. 2.) talk to the teacher and approach it from a casual stance, "I just wanted to make you aware...it really bothered Jane....what would you suggest?" 3.) Not making it a BIG deal with my child. The more I make it into something terrible the more she will too. So while it is not a good thing it is also not the worst that could happen. 4.) Work with the school to find ways for the harassment to end. 5.) If the school is less than helpful (and sometimes put it back on my child as the problem) I would ask them about their harassment policies and take it to the district and so and so forth.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Talk to the teacher, parents, and pricipal. Anyone who will istenn. If a kindergardner can get expelled for kissing another student innocently then a 1st grader can get kicked out for that kind of behavior.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• In 1st grade they are just mimicking other's behaviors. Tell the teacher about it because it is a form of bullying. The children should be addressed about good touches and bad touches. I do not think it is something he is doing in a perverse manner but it should be stopped.

I'd give him a benefit of the doubt since I smack my son's bottom sometimes when he walks by me. I don't think anything bad of it but the world would come down if he did the same in his 1st grade class.
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 1:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• honestly, if the boy hits your daughter again tell her to punch him in his face!! boys shouldnt touch girls!! i dont condone violence but enough is enough. good luck!! one more thing: show your daughter how to hit, too.ha-ha
    j-hunt

Answer by j-hunt at 2:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• There should be no hitting in school, period. Is the teacher aware of the situation? Hitting girls on the butt goes just beyond a hitting issue. Obviously the child is learning this behavior at home and it is inappropriate in school (and the future workplace).

Since you don't say what steps you have taken yet, I would recommend contacting the teach. If that doesn't work follow the chain of command upward until the situation is remedied.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2008