Hashimoto's disease and pregnancy?

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease a few months ago after having thyroid problems with my first pregnancy. I found out a couple weeks ago that I am pregnant again. I went to my first prenatal appt last week and saw a heartbeat and the Dr. told me that I am not as far along as we thought and that I must ovulate late. I had an appt. with my endocrinologist the same day. They upped my meds from 100 mcg to 125 that day. My endo's office called me yesterday and told me that my tsh was at 4.8 before the med increase. Of course i googled it and found all these horror stories about people with Hashimoto's who can't carry a baby to term and have had numerous miscarriages. I do have a child already so that comforts me some that it can be done, but I would like to know if anyone else out there has Hashimoto's and has carried babies to term, and if so what is the most off that your levels got while pregnant.

I also found the same scary stories about late ovulation and miscarriage :( Maybe I should stop googling so much.

teagansmom10

Asked by teagansmom10 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i have hashimotos and i have two kids but i have had several miscarriages but just keep taking your meds and going to the dr and everything should be fine....btw stop googleing it will only scare you more lol
    good luck
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I've got hashimoto's and had problems with miscarriage, but they discovered that's because I had Hughes syndrome (aka antiphospholipid syndrome) - which often occurs in people with Hashimoto's. It causes blood clotting problems if left untreated - but it's easily diagnosed with one blood test, and easily treated during pregnancy with aspirin and Heparin. Any pregnant woman with Hashimoto's should be tested for antiphospholipiid syndrome as a precaution, and especially so if baby growth seems slightly slower than expected. Ask your doctor for the test. I've written an article on the hashimoto's/Hughes syndrome tie up here: http://www.suite101.com/content/antiphospholipid-syndrome-and-pregnancy-a144798
    englishsarah

Answer by englishsarah at 5:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011