Advice for someone who has never worn makeup??

I am 25 years old and have never worn makeup, not even on my wedding day.

Now that I'm a mom of two and getting older, I think makeup will help me feel better about myself. So a girlfriend and I are going to a place in the next town to get complimentary color matching, and the lady is even going to show me how to apply it. I am very excited about it. The shop sells Bare Minerals makeup, which I have heard very good things about.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me, someone who has never worn makeup before. If I like the makeup, I plan on buying some and start wearing it on a regular basis. I really want it to look natural, and to just help me feel better about myself.

Thanks in advance ladies!

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• You're going about it in the right way! Take it slow, listen to what she has to say - and make sure you speak up as to what you like/don't like! Have a great time!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• You will love Bare Minerals. Especially since you are not a make up person. It is wonderful. But quite expensive. It lasts a long time though.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Less Is More... much like jewelry that can look like costume trash, you can make yourself look like a clown... not everyone (like me) needs to put on foundation, powder, and make it look like a mask... LESS IS MORE
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Yes, enjoy, less is more & ya don't get pressured to buy a whole bunch of stuff! makeup that is sheer in colour sounds perfect for ya....have fun with it
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I don't wear make up myself, but I'm excited for you and this experience. Sometimes we have to do little extras to boost our confidence. Way to go!
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I love Bare Minerals! It will give you an even skin tone and look like you're wearing nothing and it's not heavy feeling and you don't have to touch up.Good luck!
    bellaambru90

Answer by bellaambru90 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• go have someone help you like sephora
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 2:42 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Go slow for sure and don't worry if you can't get it to look the same as pros. Over time you will get better at it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:45 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Because you have never worn make-up, it is a good idea to start small. No matter the brand you eventually choose,wear the barest minimum. I would advice you to start with elongating/vlumising mascara (to make your eyes pop) ,lipgloss with just a hint of colour and primer for your skin (makes your skin look and feel like silk while filling in any lines you may have) .I love the Smashbox primer and they've got some pretty amazing lipgloss too.

Also, why not try and have fun with nail polish. when I start feeling a bit unattractive , I would just paint my nails bright green or tomato-red and I instantly get a lift in my spirits. It may work for you too. Good luck......
    whiskey80

Answer by whiskey80 at 1:36 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Thank you for the comments ladies!!

My friend and I had a blast at the place we went to, and we fell in love with Bare Minerals makeup!!! I am now wearing it everyday and I am loving it!! It covers my blemishes (which my husband says I don't even have, hehe), and it still looks like natural. This is the 3rd day in my entire life that I am wearing makeup :)
    MichaelsMom330

Comment by MichaelsMom330 (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2011