What can this be?

I have trouble with the skin on my face. It only happens in the winter. When I take a shower my face gets red and blotchy. It itches and burns and stays red a couple hours after my shower. It is embarrassing. I have had people ask if I have been crying.
I have stopped using soap on my face, that makes it worse. I have tried different lotions but they all make it 10 times worse. I have to be really careful what I put on my face. I will have an allergic reaction.
This also happens if I stand by a bon fire or spend time outside in the cold. Any ideas?

liebimom3

Asked by liebimom3 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Health

• Sounds liek eczema. Try using some Aveeno sensitive skin lotion or cream and see if that helps. My kids get it on their faces all winter and they look like they have windburn or something.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Could be just ultra sensitive, especially in the colder months the air is dry enough already, your water could be hard and the soaps rob moisture too. When you wash your face do it very gently and not too much soap water and/or lotion, and pat don't rub.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 9:21 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• it does sound like eczema, or yes really sensitive skin. i would see a dermatologist before you end up with scarring. it's your face!
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 9:39 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• have you tried hydocortizone. My baby gets a rash on her cheeks and that's what the doc recommended b/c it isn't too strong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 17, 2008