B reastfeeding vs. cold medicine

I am a breastfeeding mama and I have constant congestion in my sinus' for the last few days and it hurts. The moment I blow my nose I feel it build right back up ad I can't breath out of my nose. Ugh! Is there anything I can take? I've heard all congestion clearing medicine can dry your milk supply and since I'm not too far from weaning I don't want to change my supply and cut it off early. Any suggestions? Do I have to just grin and bare it? I do humidifiers but it doesn't feel like enough!

KenzieQsMommy

Asked by KenzieQsMommy at 10:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Health

• Simply Saline Or a Neti Pot also look on Lactmed.com to see what you can take. Feel Better. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I would go the homeopathic route. I use a product called Sinusin and it works well. Other ideas would be a netti pot. If there is a Whole Foods or something like it nearby you can go pick their brains.

Definitely avoid Sudafed, it will dry you up. I used to take Benedryl with no side effects for me or baby (back when you could give it to babies too.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I tried a saline rinse and it made me nauseous for the rest of the day. Is that normal?
    KenzieQsMommy

Comment by KenzieQsMommy (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Zicam can permanently take away your sense of smell, so be careful.
    Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)