Do you think a 8 yr old......

Should have a cellphone? Not judging if yours do......
But is that too young?? Maybe im old fashion......my children isn't out of my sight long enough to have their own phone. I do plan on giving them one when they get to be around 12... But I personally think 8 is pretty young! What do you think?

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 10:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• i am with you on that one 8 is a little too young
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• If they can't pay for it, they don't need it!
    Anonymous

• I think it's a bit young. My older ones are 11 & 13 and they share one. It sits on the counters most days, doesn't go to school unless they are staying late. It's mostly for bike rides and sports games when I can't make it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Too young in my opinion. There is no reason for my son to have one at that age.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I have an extra phone for the kids to use if necessary. It sits on a counter plugged in. Our phones are too difficult to figure out how to make calls so we got that one for emergencies. They have no need for their own phone at this point. They don't even call anybody. My girls are 6 and 7 (going to be 8 in 12 days!)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I agree. My dd is 6 and she has friends who have cell phones. What??!! I told her that once she is old enough to go out with her friends by herself, or go to the mall and walk around with out me with her, then she can have a cell phone for those occasions. She will not be given a cell phone of her vary own until she is in high school. As it is, she will not be any place where there are no phones. She can use a land line if necessary.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• My kids got their cell phones when they went to middle school, and started riding the bus and staying home alone, versus being in the after school program. (so 6th grade, however old that was LOL)
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 10:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• way too young. i tink if they arent driving they dont need a plan, just an emergency pre paid with a few mins.. and that only if they are going to be away from you. like not at friends houses but walking to bus stops, detentions after school..
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Too young unless they are without you for more than 8 hours a day other than school.
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 10:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• no unless there could be medical issues but children are being faced with more things these days so it may be a good idea so they can keep in contact with you. my mom to teach me responsibility got me a trac fone she only would get 100 min per month and if i ran out i was out of a phone tell next month or i had to do chorse to gain money to get more min
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2011