What to ask?

I have my first OB appointment are there any questions i should as my doctor?

lil_momma_vdv

Asked by lil_momma_vdv at 11:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Do you already have ideas about what kind of a birth experience you prefer?
    (and why)

Did you interview several providers already, is this an interview, or this is who you've hired?

You can ask how many of his/her patients birth naturally/medicated, have inductions, cesareans, other interventions.
    How many use birth plans, birth doulas, policies on photographing labor, when to come in during labor, when you can call if you have concerns, etc...
    * Lots of things to discuss.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:13 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Maybe ask if there's a written list of medications on what you can or can't take throughout your pregnancy. Everything else you'd be asking is probably just off hand stuff when the subject comes up. Otherwise, there are some books that do week by week so you can have an idea of what to expect. Any questions you have should be about history on yours and the father's part...health wise if anything could be passed...I'm not real sure, it's been a long time, but I'd stick with the meds list to start if anything else. G'luck and wishing you a happy healthy pregnancy.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 11:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Whats your blood type that is a big one on my friends minds right know. she just found out she is pregnant and her blood type is O- and she may need the shot for O- . it depends on her SO
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• *** blinkys11*** The only women that require the RH negative shot are women with Positive blood types... If she is o- then its the universal blood type and wont require a shot
    Mrs.carlton

Answer by Mrs.carlton at 2:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Mrs.carlton, It's actually the other way around. The blood type (A, B, AB & O) are not a factor in pregnancy. Unless of course you need a transfusion. However, the RH factor (+,-) can play a big roll. If the woman is RH positive, there is no risk. But if the woman is negative and the parter is positive this may result in a positive blood typed baby that the mothers body may try to reject. In this case you will require what is called the rhoGAM shot.
    MommyMegO2011

Answer by MommyMegO2011 at 4:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2011