Any 911 Dispatchers out there?

Are you a 911 Dispatcher? How long? Do you work in a consolidated center? Are you allowed to fraternize with the units you dispatch for? Do you just call take, or do you dispatch as well? Law enforcement, Fire/Medical, or all? Do you love it, hate it?

hrh.sassypants

Asked by hrh.sassypants at 11:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• My Sister used to be a Dispatcher for a small Police Department a long time ago. She always wanted to be a Police Officer, but didn't pass on test. That is when she decided to go with Dispatching. She was and still is a Single Mom. It was very stressful for her. It was good money and great benefits, but it was too much for her to handle. Sorry I don't have much information. I was only 10 years old or so when she worked there, so I don't remember much.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Why not call a 911 center and schedule an informational interview?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• not here
    i was just going to type in your name lol i remember u answering a question saying u were one
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was just curious about other 911 Dispatchers that might be on this forum. I've been dispatching for 14 years, at a consolidated Center (meaning we dispatch for Law Enforcement and Fire/Medical). I absolutely love my career, my pay, and my benefits!! Not to mention I feel like I've accomplished something or helped someone every single day.
    hrh.sassypants

Comment by hrh.sassypants (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2011