NYCHA gave me an apartment then decided it was a mistake!!! Can they do this?

Recently I have been contacted by the New York City Housing Authority Ravenswood Houses and I was told I have been selected for a 3 room apartment. Of course, I was ecstatic. I started the application process 3 years ago. I have a 3 year old son and we have been pretty much bouncing from between my mother, my grandmother and my aunt's homes. There just didn't seem to be any room for us and now i was giving the opportunity to have my home permanent home. I went to the management office and I viewed and accepted the apartment, signed the lease and paid the security and first months rent. The apartment was not ready, so I had to return to receive the keys. I was told when I went down there today that I could not get the keys because I had to sign a form that at the time was unable to be found. The form had something to due with lead based paint. I was told I would be contacted when I can come back. About a hour or two later, I was contacted and told to come get my money back. I asked for an explanation and all that i was told was the apartment could not be rented out. When I asked for details I was then told I was chosen by mistake and I could not rent the apartment. I called back to speak to woman who worked with my apartment and she did want to give me any explanation. Something about this just did not seem right. I don't believe that I was just chosen for an apartment by mistake. This would have been found out before I signed the lease and paid. for the apartment. What are my options? What can i do?

jjsmommi5

Asked by jjsmommi5 at 11:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• That is fishy- can you contact the NYCHA and see what the story is- if you are approved by them- I would tell them what you encountered so they can investigate the landlord- that just sounds too fishy to be true-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• Do you have a copy of the lease and Paperwork you signed? Have you read it carefully to see if it has any clauses that allow them the right to cancel? I'm not familiar with NYC tenant laws.... I have seen in other states, where they have a clause that they can refuse the rental to you with a certain period of time before you move in and as long as they return your deposit, they are within their rights to do so.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thats what i thought . Thank you i will contact them in the morning
    jjsmommi5

Comment by jjsmommi5 (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i was supposed to get my copy of the lease with my keys I began to read the beginning of it but she didnt let me finish
    jjsmommi5

Comment by jjsmommi5 (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Did you sign it before you read it all?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Another thing, when you talk to them- make them confirm you are still at the top of the list, even though they took this opportunity from you. Don't back down. You shouldn't lost your place on the waitlist because of this.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• *lose.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I read a much shorter get to the point version of the lease she gave me but I read two pages and I found the lease online (thank god for the web) according to the lease the apartment is mine as of the day I signed it
    jjsmommi5

Comment by jjsmommi5 (original poster) at 2:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Becareful and demand a copy of what you signed, regardless of whether they say the apt is yours. They should have had you read the actual, real deal lease, if that is in fact what you signed. In the future, never walk out of a legal transaction without a Copy of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you sign, read, agree to. good luck.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Grly gave you good advise. The only recommendation I have is to take someone with you when you go back to the office. It's always good to have someone with no skin in the game there to watch the transaction. If it came down to a you said / they said situation you have a set of fresh eyes and ears that saw and heard the whole thing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2011