How do you handle evil sons going through puberty?

Mine is 11 and we clash every day. I feel like a bad mommy for being strict with him (and he sure thinks I am), but I can't just let him talk to me that way!

MamaBear1001

Asked by MamaBear1001 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would stick to it just like you. Consistency is important even though it can be draining.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I know how you feel because we're going through the same with our 10 year old ds. He has the mouth, the "I don't care" attitude, the "I hate you and I hate my life" statements and probably pretty much the same behaviors your son is showing. And I agree with the pp that consistency, boundaries and discipline are vital. I also think that it's equally as important to reward them for their positive behaviors.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I agree with above posts. Be patient, they will get past this phase but be vigilent. Don't worry how he reacts as much as you should your own reactions. I know it's hurtful but tough it out &keep the lines of communication open. Do some positive reinforcement whenever necessary count to ten remind him always that you love him. Also try to see things from his perspective whenever possible. Remember parenting isn't for wimps.This too shall pass.Godspeed!
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 12:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I agree w/the above posts. Kids are different in this day and age aren't they? I have a girl so it's not just boys. Mouthy, sassy at times. Too much of the time. My dh and I keep letting her know it's not ok, but she gets it and then starts it up again.
    Anonymous

• I see there is room in this boat for more.
    bookwriter4kids

Answer by bookwriter4kids at 12:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• thanks for all the good advice and support. it's nice to know that other mommies have the same instincts i do - he sure makes me wonder sometimes!

and i'm adopting Parenting isn't for wimps as my thought bubble - thanks b-fleur!
    MamaBear1001

Answer by MamaBear1001 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Uggg. I can't stand the "I hate my life" line. It drives me up the wall! Do yours all seem to do their chores half-assed now, too? It's like in the last year or so he has forgotten how to clean the kitchen or unload the dishwasher.
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 4:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• no, it's constant negotiation; can i do this first? just b/c i never got around to it last time you let me have privileges first and chores later doesn't mean i won't do it this time! (no, it doesn't, b/c you're not doing things in that order again.)

and he gets so mad so fast, i can totally see him controlling his 'fist of death,' for all you dilbert fans.
    MamaBear1001

Answer by MamaBear1001 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My 12 yr old used to be so well behaved but now I can't even stand his attitude most of the time!!! He is taller than me too so he thinks he's all big and bad and doesn't have to listen to me at all!! I love him dearly but I can't wait till he's 18 (lol). I need advice too so all you veterans please tell us how to deal with these monsters!!!
    brooke731

Answer by brooke731 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2008