Does anyone else have a child who is afraid to fall into the toilet? and how do you handle it?

fall, toilet

mommyofone740

Asked by mommyofone740 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yep. I held their hands while the sat on the toilet, when they got used to that, I showed them how to hold onto the edge while sitting....what I didn't do is let them use it as an excuse NOT to sit on the toilet....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think all three of my boys were afraid to fall into the toilet on the big potty. We got them a potty chair, but I also had a potty seat that fit over the large toilet seat, but their little bottoms fit into. They felt much safer on the little potty, or the potty seat if we had to go somewhere.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Can you get a childs seat for the toliet? Some sing and have designs in it. It just sits on top of the toliet and normally has handles, that should help your childs fear. plus with the lid down (and maybe clean it real good before) have your child go up to the toliet and say ...Potty, hi my name is (childs name) i am afraid to use you because im afraid ill fall in, but i will try. Then open up the lid and show him its not very far down, all it is is a little water and that if he falls he can yell at the potty for being bad. That gets your child to face his fear, acknowledge it, visually see that it isnt far down and he wont fall forever and feel's in control and has power over the potty to give a "punishment" to the potty is something like that happens. It also acknoweldges that it might happen sometime so that if it does happen he wont be tramatized and say you told me i wasnt going to fall in and then lose trust. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 12:08 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• oh my gosh...i just told you to talk to a toliet...sigh...i need to get out more often. LOL
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 12:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2011