What is the best way to deal with temper tantrums?

My son is not quite 2 and is throwing fits at the drop of a hat. Every little thing sets him off. I'm not sure what to do about it.

amcmillen0504

Asked by amcmillen0504 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids have tantrums because you wont give them what they want or he knows if he has a tantrum you will give in and give him what he wants..Their are several ways to deal with this.1,,, ignore him and do not give him what he wants.2,, When he starts having a tantrum,grab him and put him on his feet and tell him"you can have a tantrum all day I am not going to give it to you and put him in time out,3,,, Give him a good spanking.. Take your pick of witch one you think would work for you.

Answer by louise2 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• The best way to deal with a tantrum is to completely ignore the child while they throw it. Unless they get sick or hurt themselves ignore it until it is over. He will soon learn that tantrums don't get him what he wants and he should start expressing himself in other ways.
    maggieradford

Answer by maggieradford at 9:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• 2 things work for me. First, I will ignore him if he's trying to get me to do something for him...some times there will be a toy 2 feet away from him and 5 from me and he'll wine for me to get it for him...Whatever! If he throws a tantrum because he doesn't understand the rule I will sit him down and explain it to him and then introduce a task or object to get his mind off of it. Every tantrum is different so just feel your child out...sometimes they just need some guidance and other times they're just being nasty to be nasty!
    Christi12

Answer by Christi12 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Ignore it. Spanking a 1 year old won't t teach them anything but to be afraid.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Ignore it, I will tell my son I know you're mad/frustrated and it's okay to feel like that. When you're done being mad, I'll be in the living room if you want a hug. Here's your sippy (and put it on the floor near him). Then I walk to the next room. It doesn't take long before a sweaty little boy comes up for a hug and cuddle all calm.
    mommyonhawaii

Answer by mommyonhawaii at 11:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i agree. ignore him. spanking wont do anything, he is to young to understand why your spanking him. itll teach him to be afraid of you.
    i hate ignoring my daughter when she has fits too, but there isnt much i can do or say to tell my 1 year old to not throw fits. ya know?
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 12:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i have the same problem and well we've tried ignoring it.. putting him in time out and then we tried spanking as the last resort we found none of them work.. were still having problems if you find a different way let me know! :) please!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• remove him. remove him. remove. him. when he realizes he doesn't get what he wants and no one will play with him, he will stop. also, try giving him words. he needs words to express himself. a magnet or pictures with lots of facial expressions and words should help too.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2008