Need a break

How can I take a break from everyone and everything as a single mother. It's hard to get sleep and stop working even while I'm not working.

paradyxe28

Asked by paradyxe28 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• A babysitter. Putting some extra money aside for some planned "me" time isn't so bad. You can get out and watch a movie, go for a walk, or just have the babysitter keep the kids out of your room so you can sleep.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Girl when you find the answer please let me know because I am wondering the same damn thing
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 12:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Maybe a bubble bath, after you put them to sleep. Or, put on a movie and sneak in some computer time.
    Mom2Ladybug

Answer by Mom2Ladybug at 12:10 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Early bedtimes! I don't know how old your kids are, but 7 or 7:30 PM is NOT too early for kids under 7 (maybe over, but I only have a little guy, so can't share from personal experience).
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:13 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• my heart goes out to you, i need a break too but probably not as bad as you do! Do you have any friends at work who have kids? Maybe you could see if one of them could watch your kid/s on a weekend for a couple hours or so? and then return the favor/ that way itll be free, your kids will have someone to play with and you get a weekend day to yourself? I know youd be having a playdate for them and that seems like extra work, but if your kid/s and theirs are busy playing they should leave you alone enough to at least breathe. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 12:14 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Well my daughter is 1 years old and my job is roofing so I work with a bunch of old head guys. And my mother watch her for me sometimes but bailey want to watch her
    paradyxe28

Comment by paradyxe28 (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Girl when someone figures that out I will be the first to shake their hand. I am in the same boat. I'm with my kids 24-7 unless I get someone to watch them to get groceries....or run errands. I can't wait for them to be older and in school to get a break. If I could work, I would.....but for me to go to work and get them to a day care would leave me in the negative. So I stay home and go it alone all day and all night.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:37 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Do you have a friend, relative or family member who will trade child care with you?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• trading babysitting time is a great idea. if you have a friend that will take yours on friday nites in exchange for you taking hers saturdays, it works out well. have your mom or sister, whoever, take them once in a while just so you can relax. i'm in the same position and it's really hard. i work nights, and come home between 3 and 6, and my dd gets up at 8, so half the time i just never sleep. it's ridiculous. don't be afraid to tell someone, look, i really need a break, please take them for the day. many people would probably be happy to if you asked. i think the biggest mistake i made the first year was insisting on doing everything alone. don't be too proud to ask for help.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 6:56 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i do the trading babysitting. i have two kids, she has two kids. if she needs a break, i take them, if i need a break she takes them. i will pay her though if she watches them if i have an appointment though or if he dh go out. but if it during the day mommy can nap, then we trade off.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:13 AM on Feb. 9, 2011