Question for a friend of mine..

My friend has a 1 year old girl who lately has been biteing her and her other daughter and the baby for no reason.. Any ideas on how to get her to stop?

Destins_Mommy

Asked by Destins_Mommy at 12:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Saying no in a mean tone with a reason behind it? Once upon a time, the idea of bopping on the mouth...or even a nibble so the child understands that that action is met with pain...that isn't severe.

What I did was just simply say no...and told them why...eventually my child caught on.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:42 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I too started out saying no very sternly every time, but I could tell my son no till I was blue in the face he didn't get it. When I bit back and showed him the pain he was causing it never happened again. I didn't bite hard enough to draw blood, I consider that cruel, but the shock on his face told me he finally understood the result of his actions. He was older when this happened, but I've seen it work on more then one child. They bite because they're mad, don't have the language to express that, and don't realize their biting causes pain. Showing them the pain helps that comprehension, and often times ends the behavior.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My son is three now and about a yr ago he bit me in the cheek it actually drew blood so i bit his finger just enough that he started to whine didnt drawl blood but enough that he knew that it did not feel good. and i have never had trouble since. good luck
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 1:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2011