Change in Sleep Pattern? - 21 month old.

For the past week my 21 month old wakes up in the middle of the night crying so hard. When I pick him up he wants to go downstairs and sit by the fireplace to rock but he has a rocking chair in his room so I have to fight him to stay upstairs and relax. Last night I went in his room, put on the music, gave him his nuk and left. He screamed for about 20 minutes straight until I couldn't take it anymore (and he started gagging) and went in and again, fought to stay upstairs, rock and calm him down to go back to sleep. This morning he is just exhausted from all the night time commotion. Does anyone else have this sudden change in sleep pattern w/ their little toddler? I don't know what to do!

Christi12

Asked by Christi12 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yup sure did,

I just got used to it..

But she dont cry and gag herself...

your little one is spoiled,

he just wants attention and his mommas cuddlin...;o)
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• He's upset, my son cries and gags himself. Could be growing pains or nightmares. My sons goes through a few nights of good sleep, then he's tossing/turning and whimpering a lot. I don't think he's spoiled, I respond to my son too when he starts to cry and gag because it'll lead to barfing. And he's not barfing on purpose, he's just so upset he's crying that hard.
    mommyonhawaii

Answer by mommyonhawaii at 11:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My DD is still teething at 22 months so we have those nights still. It could also be night terrors.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 11:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My son has been going through the exact same thing. He is 20 months old and I DO NOT think he is spoiled, that is rude. I thought it was due to my son getting his last molars and he was in pain. I am not sure though. My husband said it might be nightmares because we just moved to a new house and he is in a new room. I just rock him for about 10 minutes and he goes back to sleep. I also do not let my son gag because he will vomit and I do not want to clean that up at 3am. I am sure it is a phase and it will pass. Just have to hang in there!! It will get better. I personally think the best thing to do is comfort him though that is what I have always done and it has always worked!!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i read in a book somewhere that if your child is crying sometimes its for different reasons. you should always let your child know that you are there for them but let them handle a little bit on their own. you should check on your child every 15 to 20 minutes if they are crying and wont stay in bed. when you walk in the room let them know that they are not alone in the house that you are right dont the hall. my son loves to have his back rubbed he falls asleep to it. but lately he wouldnt fall asleep so i rubbed it for two minutes and said now mommy is going to bed. try and go to sleep. if your child doesnt just go in the room and check make sure everything is alright and if it is walked back out but not before telling your child that its ok and that you ae right down the hall.
    jseibert

Answer by jseibert at 1:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• it is very common for toddler boys of this age to have night terrors. google it. and don't go in and wake him up when he screams. his eyes may be awake. he may be screaming, but he could be asleep. when you flip the lights on and wake him he freaks out because he does not know why he is screaming because they don't remember night terrors. or it could be teeth.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Thank you all. It ended up being leg cramps. The afternoon after I wrote this he came home from daycare, grabbed his legs and said "owie". Poor guy. He's back to normal now and sleeping thru the night once again. Thanks to you all for your answers...well other than the first one...How Rude!
    Christi12

Answer by Christi12 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 21, 2008