Do you feel comfortable discussing money?

How much you make? What you pay for things? What you are getting back for you tax refund? How much you paid for your car or house?

I am not asking you to answer any of these things, just examples of what I am talking about.

I personally do not. I find it a bit rude to ask or divulge any of that info without a reason. It is just how I was raised. My husband's family is the exact opposite though and everything is fair game for questioning. Yes it has caused some friction... :p

I just find it interesting how different people view money and what is appropriate for discussing.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 12:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• No, very uncomfortable even with my hubby.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• With people I am VERY close to I don't have an issue with discussing those things. But I wouldn't do it with anyone else.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I do not like to at all. My dh makes significantly more than any of my friends hubbies, I think it would be very rude to talk about it. Flamboyance is NOT attractive.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 12:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I see no harm in it...people can answer if they like. The comparison was examples.. to go right out and ask total strangers is of sheer shock lol. No harm in asking, people will answer if they choose. I think it was the bluntness without reason that was catching off guard. Still noting sarcasm in text and what not...not the intent to be rude, but shock factor lol.

Me personally, if I don't know you...it's kind of a hesitant answer. You're curious...sure I'll answer. but I feel...awkward if I'm doing better than some people and they ask. I don't like comparing...just the way I was raised I guess.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It doesn't bother me if I know you well. My friends and I bitch about money stuff some and we all know pretty much where everyone is at. I don't like talking to my parents about my money situation though. I don't want them to think they need to fix it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:07 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Im with you, I do not like discussing anything financial with anyone who is not my hubby. I also do not find it appropriate for people to ask either. it is no ones business but mine and my husbands. How much we make and how much our bills are or even how much we are getting back on our tax return is between us.
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 1:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't discuss how much I make with others, but when it comes to houses or cars, I'm more open. Most people in our salary range spend a lot more on those than we did.

We always owe on our taxes, so there's nothing to brag about there.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Not really. If somebody asks I will tell them IF I feel like it would help them. LIke if they are buying a house and want to know what my average electric bill is or what taxes are etc. Or if they are buying a car and want to know what I paid for mine so they can get an idea of what prices run so they don't get ripped off or something.

Now if I feel they are just being nosy than I won't discuss it with them and just politely change the subject.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm a *VERY* private person - I don't like discussing financial matters with anyone at all (except DH of course). My hubby's family knows no boundaries, either - and that has always stressed me - still does 20 years later!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:19 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't share any of that with anyone other than dh. I've lived and learned.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2011